Facedown: No More!

"Beep Beep Beep", the sound of the heart machine blared in the background. I could see a bright  surgical light shining on my face. Then I heard a deep male voice say:

"Checking entry point of the bullet wound right now. Shoulder cleaned. Apply pressure, let's get this surgically cleaned. After which give her  another round of the antibiotic." I flicker my eyes trying to let the doctor and nurse know that I am awake.

Finally, the surgeon noticed and leaned over.

"Athena, I want you to blink if you hear me. Do you hear me?"

I blinked my eyes.

Pleased with my response, the doctors continued speaking:

"We will be taking you to the recovery room; your husband is waiting for you there."

Husband, what was he talking about now? I am not married. The doctor gave me another shot in the arm that put me to sleep.

The next  time, I opened my eyes, I  was in a hospital bed. The room was quiet free from the  beeping sounds I heard prior.

Seated next to my bed  was Prince, holding  my hand. His eyes looked red from crying had he been there all this time?

I turn to look at him. His eyes brighten up the moment he realizes I am awake, his face turns into a happy smile:

"Alex Pretty baby, you are awake!" He exclaimed giving me a hug, His eyes red and puffy, Did he cry all night long? I wondered.I squeezed his hand and asked:

"What happened last night?"

Before I could respond, the middle-aged doctor walked in the room.

"Glad to see you are awake, dear a bullet grazed your arm, luckily the quick thinking of your husband here by applying pressure which helped stop the bleeding, He also got you here on right away which by the way saved your life."

There he goes again with the husband word. I look up at Prince who makes a face and smiles back. He said in his trademarked low baritone voice:

"My wife and I have to thank you."

"And our baby?" I asked worried more about the baby than myself.

He paused for a moment looked at Prince and then at me and remarked:

"It was a close call, but we were lucky. You are four months pregnant. I will be honest this is going to require bed rest as much as possible."

He shot Prince a glare as though saying take it easy with her, give her a break.

"Doc does that mean a break from hmm you know," I asked concerned.

The doctor inched up his eyebrow as though asking "break from what?" but sure enough he soon got the message.

He laughed and said:

"That will be perfectly fine it will not hurt the baby."

"It might even be good," Prince smirked, apparently amused by the conversation. The doctor continued:

"Yes, your baby boy is doing fine," The doctor's words made us realize he had let the  baby's sex slip out.

"Doc did you say, a baby boy?" Prince asked getting excited.

"Yes, you are having a boy," the doctor said, looking directly at me and  smiling. Prince pulled me into his embrace, then he sat  back up and said:

"Doc we cannot let word get out about... us being in town,"

"It is a little too late for that," I said to Prince, glancing up at the local news on the television in the room.