Everything is Bigger in Texas

We arrived in Dallas in the middle of the afternoon. I got out of the car following Chad down the street. We wondered around for hours only to have him stop in an alley turning to me.

"That smell," he gasped his eyes looking at me. I felt my panic rising as he grabbed my arm sniffing it. "You really smell like one of them."

"Really?" I said pretending to be shocked. He looked into my eyes as he pressed his lips against mine taking me off guard. I melted into his kiss as a warmth filled my body. I wrapped my arms around him as the kiss deepened sending an electric current surging through me. I winced as I felt a shooting pain in my stomach. I gasped pulling away looking down to see the knife embedded in my abdomen. I looked into his eyes which had hardened.

"It's you," he growled as I pulled the knife out letting out a small yelp.

"Chad please," I gasped as he ran at me. I spun kicking him. It didn't have the effect it should have but I was sloppy due to the blood pouring out of the wound. I ran down the alley toward the crowded street which was my only chance at the moment. I ran out into the street a few people screaming. One grabbed my arm looking into my eyes as I staggered.

"Miss help is on the way," the man smiled holding me on my feet. I saw Chad standing a few feet away from me but he didn't come after me. There was too many people for him to risk that. "What happened?"

"I was attacked," I gasped the knife still in my hand. The man saw it stiffening as he held me.

"Don't worry I got you," he smiled his grey eyes looking around us. I could hear the sirens wailing in the distance as spots danced across my vision. I handed the man the knife.

"Don't let them have it," I gasped before my vision went dark...
---
I woke in the hospital stitches in my wound. I looked relieved to see my Lycan healing had already kicked it.

"Miss," I jumped seeing the man from the street.

"Who are you?" I asked as he sighed.

"I'm the witch who made this," he said causing me to gasped. I tried to slide away from him as he put the knife down. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"How can I trust you? You made the weapon they are misusing to kill all Gemini Lycans," I snapped as he sighed.

"I made the knife to kill one Gemini who was hurting a lot of people," he said sitting next to me.

"Then why is my entire pack hunting my brother and I?" I asked as tears rushed down my face.

"Because Drake is corrupt and is afraid he will be overthrown," the man said sadly. "I'm Nathan."

"I'm Sapphire," I whispered shaking his hand. "a guy from my pack is after my brother who is in California."

"Rest and I'll take you tomorrow," he said as I looked into his eyes.

"Stay with me please," I begged as he nodded.

"I will but not because you want me to but because of a prophecy I learned," he said as I shut my eyes. "You will learn soon."
---
"Sapphire wake up!" Nathan said his voice laced with fear. I jumped to my feet spotting Chad in the hallway. I grabbed the knife but realized it's not much help. Chad walked in with a smirk.

"Come with me and he gets to live," Chad snapped as I glanced at Nathan. I stepped toward Chad when Nathan grabbed the knife cutting my arm. I winced touching the wound when he lunged plunging the blade into Chad's leg. Chad screamed when Nathan pulled the knife out. He grabbed my arm racing from the room leaving Chad lying on the floor bleeding.

"My blood turns it into a weapon," I gasped as Nathan laughed.

"Yes I created it to kill and as a protection for you," he said as we raced to the stairs running down three flights of stairs. We hit the street rushing down the street to a black sports car waiting for us. There were a few others inside the car. We got in the car speeding away from the hospital as I tried to catch my breath.

"What prophecy would send them after me?" I asked fear in my eyes.

"It says if you and your brother are reunited your powers are magnified. This only can happen when raised apart," Nathan said softly. "You are connected by magical strings that have been building and strengthening with the distance. All that energy will be released into you once you are joined."

"Drake thinks we would want to be Alpha," I sighed. "Because of being raised apart we are more of a threat than before."

"Yes and your parents knew this would happen," he said causing me to stop cold.

"My mom is dead and my dad told them about the knife and to track by smell," I said through gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry she died but we don't have time for this we need your brother's name so we can track him," Nathan said. I thought of his name Josh... ROWEN.

"His name is Josh Rowen," I said as the man in the backseat punched it into the computer.

"Looks like we are headed for north San Diego," the man said to Nathan. We had to hope we beat the pack there or my brother is as good as dead. As we drove toward California it's like I could feel him getting closer. I could tell he felt something too.

"How are we going to protect him?" I asked softly as a few people held up guns.

"Silver bullets laced with wolfsbane will end them if they try and hurt him," Nathan said squeezing my hand.

"Thank you for helping me and for believing me," I said with tears in my eyes. I had lost so much in a matter of weeks but the worst was the way I lost Chad. He kissed me as a distraction and stabbed me. I guess even betrayals are bigger in Texas.