Revenant

I looked at Nathan as everything became clear. He was a Revenant and his one goal was to kill me by any means possible. I was a little confused why he tried to save me when I was fighting Martin.

"Nathan," I said softly as he walked toward me. His eyes glowed yellow as he approached me.

"Hold still," he smiled blood dripping from his mouth. I covered my mouth muffling my scream.

"Nathan stop," I managed but he ignored me as he grasped my wrist pulling me toward him. I winced as he bit into my wrist.

"Just what I needed," he laughed looking at me. I wasn't going to scream because that would solve nothing.

"Let me go," I said harshly but he shook his head.

"Only your life can sustain me," he said as I felt my free hand move as if it knew what it was doing. A small white light was on my fingertips as I touched his cheek. He cried out in pain dropping my hand. He turned away covering his face as my lips parted slightly. Had I just injured him? I looked at my hand as the light faded.

"Me, she was referring to me," I gasped as he ran at me knocking me to the ground. He pulled out a knife trying to stab me. I dodged the knife as he plunged it into the ground. I felt the magic fill me quickly. I reached up grabbing his throat. He coughed for a moment before his eyes went blank followed by his body going limp. I got to my feet as I felt Katherine a few feet away hiding behind a tree. I ran toward her picking her up.

"Mommy," she whimpered as I teleported back to the witches. I put Katherine down before collapsing onto the ground. I felt a hand grab mine only for them to let go.

"She faced a Revenant and was bitten," someone muttered as I started to see double. I felt weak as I lay there.

"The Revenant will come for her," another person said. "If it doesn't come she will die of the bite. You can't get bitten and live."

"Sapphire," Greg gasped scooping me up. I lay limp in his arms as he carried me into a nearby building. He set me on the couch looking at my wrist. He knew he couldn't heal it so he got a wet washcloth cleaning the wound. There was dirt on it from the muddy woods.

"Is she okay?" A woman asked standing next to me.

"She's sick. I think the bite made her ill. She's sweating and running a fever," Greg said softly sitting next to me.

"Has she said anything yet?" She asked Greg.

"No she's just been lying there," he said as she grabbed my unwounded arm. She dropped it quickly facing him.

"She has done something no witch has ever done, she killed a Revenant," she murmured as I felt a sharp pain rush through me.

"What's happening?" Greg asked her, panic in his gaze.

"I think her body is fighting against the Revenant bite," the woman said as I sat up the wound sealing itself. I took a breath before getting to my feet Greg rushing to support my weight.

"I need to speak with the coven," I said softly as she led us to the alter where the coven had gathered.

"Everyone gather around," she said as I leaned against Greg.

"I fought and killed a Revenant," I said firmly. I held up my hand as I used the magic. My fingertips glowed as they watched. "This is what killed him."

"Can I touch your fingers?" The woman asked as I nodded. I knew they needed this knowledge for the Revenants kill thousands. Her eyes widened as she pulled her hand away. "It's as simple as a light spell."

"I didn't use a light spell on purpose it was as if something came over me," I said softly as I felt Van's magic caress my cheek causing me to take a shaky breath. Van had been the one who showed me how to beat him, I don't know how I didn't realize it.

"Sapph what's wrong?" Greg questioned as I stepped out of his arms.

"Van's here," I whispered wishing I could see him. I wanted desperately to have just one more moment with him. He was there for me even in death he found a way to help me. For this reason I will always love him. I don't think I will ever be truly happy without him. I might not be sad but I will never feel joy without him.

"How do you know?" The woman asked as I looked at her with teary eyes.

"I can feel him," I muttered as she took my hand. "I miss him so much. I don't think I will ever feel happy with him gone. I think with time the pain will lessen but I will never be okay again. He was my other half and my happy ending but because of my grandfather we were doomed from the moment we met. I can barely think straight without him."

"Sapphire you say that now but you will find love again," Greg said and as I looked into his eyes I could see his desire to be more than a friend to me. I knew I would never feel that way about him and it was wrong to continue leading him on.

"Greg I will never feel that way about you," I said to him angry that he would just expect me to move on without Van.

"Not now but you will and I will be here waiting for you always," he said rushing toward me taking my left hand. His eyes locked on my ring for a moment. "He is dead why do you continue to wear that?"

"Because I belong to him even though he is gone," I said firmly.

"You are in love with a dead man!" He screamed. How could he say that to me?