Stay for Me

I drifted in and out of consciousness for hours. Every time I woke he was there clutching my hand. The man I longed to see, the man I thought was gone, Eric.

"Stay for me Sapphire," he whispered tears in his kind caring eyes. So I fought against the darkness threatening to swallow me forever. I danced on a fine line between life and death the only thing keeping me from embracing death was Eric's voice calling to me through the darkness. He was my beacon of light showing me the way home. "Until our last breath Sapphire. If you die I will regret it until my final breath." I wanted to reach out and tell him it wasn't his fault but it was as if I was being stopped from returning to him. I looked at my hand to find an engagement ring wrapped around my finger. It looked familiar but I couldn't place it. I pulled it off my hand and saw the inside of the band was engraved with the words until our last breath. The hum of magic on the ring was undeniable. I pulled the magic into my body as my eyes flew open.

"It's not your fault!" I said as his eyes locked onto mine. He pulled me into his arms holding me close.

"After you left I started getting small flashes of memories and then I remembered when you died in my arms and I remembered the pain I felt when I went crazy. I killed so many people and took in so much magic to get you back that I lost myself. God I'm so sorry Sapphire," Eric said his eyes filled with guilt. I wrapped my arms around him quickly.

"I thought you weren't coming back," I muttered softly as he caressed my cheek.

"Not possible Sapphire. I will always find a way to return to you," Eric said firmly as he placed his hand on my belly. "I will return to you both always."

"I like this," I smiled as the ring from my past life appeared on my finger. Eric's mouth dropped slightly as he took my hand touching the ring.

"You charmed it to return to you," he smiled at the memory he had that I still didn't have.

"Did we ever get married?" I asked remembering him walking away from me.

"Yes we did actually," he said as I thought of Rory.

"Did you and Rory date during my past life?" I asked still trying to sort through some of the memories.

"Yes during the time we broke up," he said his eyes filled with pain. I stroked his cheek gently bringing his attention to me.

"It's not your fault she killed me, twice," I said as he looked at me. "You didn't make her a killer."

"We still have stuff to deal with," Eric said as I looked at him. "Rory wasn't alone she had to have help. Someone else wants you dead enough to give Rory magic again no matter what she chose to do to everyone else." He was right, I assumed his darkness gave her magic but I never actually knew it.

"But which me do they want dead?" I asked as he squeezed my hand reassuringly. I have been so many people and I have made so many enemies anyone could be the person responsible.

"We will figure this out," Eric said softly as I thought of my family. If I was the thing they are after I'm putting them all at risk.

"I can't stay here," I murmured as Eric grabbed my hand.

"Then we will go together," Eric said as I pulled my hand from his. I couldn't risk his life again. I just got him back and I won't risk losing him.

"I'm sorry," I said using the last of my energy to teleport away from Eric. I stood alone on the street, tears racing down my cheeks as I walked toward a nearby hotel. I wiped my cheeks walking inside and to the front desk.

"Hello can I help you?" A happy old man whose face looked like it had lived through a lot smiled. His eyes sparkled with a few small lines extending from the corner of his green gaze.

"Yes I need a room," I said softly as he handed me a key.

"Your name please," he said his shaky hand grabbed a pencil.

"Drew," I said as he glanced up at me. It was like he recognized the name. I don't use my old name except when I'm hiding. "Natalie Drew."

"Have a good night," he said rushing away from me. It was weird how quickly he left. I walked quickly to the room which was on the fifth floor, room 552. I put the key in the old lock. The hotel wasn't like most hotels, it had keys and an old freight elevator instead of new electronic devices. The building was historic and had a gloomy feel to it. It was like an old castle on the outside. I shut the door before sitting on the old bed. It was a breathtaking building anyone who liked history would love. I knew if Eric were here he would love it, he loved anything old with grand architecture.

"Little one," I said touching my belly. "I will take care of you I promise. Nothing bad is going to happen to you!"

"I wouldn't be too sure," someone said from behind me. I jumped spinning to face them. My eyes locked on the person but I had no idea who he was. The man stood across the room his dark hair and piercing green eyes sending a chill down my spine. He was handsome but I could also tell he was the type of guy your parents urge you away from. Heck he's the type of guy I avoid, he seemed more dangerous than Eric.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I asked as he strode forward. I backed into the wall trying to stay away from him but couldn't get far enough. His hand caressed the edge of my jaw his fingertips brushing a small part of my neck.

"You will see soon enough my little bird," the man said with a wicked smirk before vanishing. Tears slipped from my eyes as I took a shaky breath not realizing I had been holding my breath. What did he mean by soon enough?