Monsters

I approached the portal Van close behind.

"Are you sure you can find her quickly?" Van asked as I faced him.

"Yes the hardest part is going to be getting her to agree," I said to him.

"Hurry back," he said. I could tell he wanted to touch me but couldn't.

"I will, I promise to keep the blood drinking to a minimum," I said before walking through the portal. I stood in the darkness watching as a few people walked by. I took a deep breath before making my way to my mother's coven. They would know how to find Elle if they didn't kill me before I explained. I approached the coven's land stopping just on the edge of their land. I felt fear filling my body but I pushed it aside walking quickly toward the alter.

"Stop," a woman snapped at me. I turned facing her my hands in the air to show I wasn't a threat. "Vampires aren't welcome here!"

"Please I need your help, I'm Brie Drew," I said my voice trembling.

"Drew as in Deb's daughter?" She asked as I nodded.

"I don't want to be a vampire and the only way to change that is to find Elle," I whispered as more of the coven started to gather. "I got married and I was happy for awhile but then I learned of the curse my grandfather placed on me so I tracked down a lead. I found my grandfather alive, he turned me into a vampire. It wouldn't be so bad but now every time my husband touches me I start bleeding."

"The old man was actually stupid enough to give you that curse, I didn't think anyone had the power to do that," the woman said as I felt tears rush down my face.

"Can you help me?" I asked as they looked at each other.

"You are one of us. You didn't want this so we will help you," she said as I walked toward her.

"Thank you," I spoke softly.

"We will send you to her," she said as the coven started to chant. I watched as they faded before I found myself in a mansion high in the mountains. The mansion was historic with dark wood floors. I walked slowly through the mansion before finding Elle in the study.

"Elle," I said softly. She stood facing me.

"Brie," she gasped her eyes filled with shock. "You died a long time ago."

"Yeah well thanks to my grandfather I couldn't die," I whispered as she ran her fingers through her pale yellow hair. Elle hadn't aged a day since I last saw her. She must be using dark magic to still be alive. Elle barely looked 25 years old.

"Why are you here?" She asked as I leaned against the wall.

"I need a some of your blood," I said as her eyes hardened.

"Why should I? What is in this for me?" She snapped harshly.

"I'm your family," I said tears filling my black eyes.

"I never had a family," she said as a fire flared up inside the trash can. I gasped as the memory of my power flashed through my mind. We both couldn't control our power the way everyone expected us to.

"Your power," I said softly as her eyes softened for a moment. "When my power grew it became unstable and until I met my husband it was always unstable."

"Your magic was unstable, did you ever kill someone because of it, I did. The moment I crossed that line I was dangerous and scary to them," she said tears in her blue gaze.

"Did you ever kill someone and enjoy it. I terrified everyone, the ancestors and the Magi worked together to try and kill me," I muttered as she turned away from me. She grabbed a letter opener cutting her finger. A few drops fell into a water glass. She handed it to me a look of understanding.

"Why do you need it?" She asked as I showed her my fangs. "He turned you."

"You knew?" I asked as she nodded.

"He wanted to live forever in a way a witch can't. He said he would protect you by casting a spell I didn't think he had the power to cast," she said as I drank the blood. I gasped as pain raced through my body. My heart started pounding as the vampire was pushed from my body. I felt the power inside me roar to life. I had gone too far from Van and couldn't control it anymore.

"Shit," I screamed collapsing to my hands and knees trying to calm the magic. Elle covered her mouth a look of fear in her eyes. She was afraid of my power, of me. I thought she was the one person who would understand me but I was wrong. I felt my magic reach out sending books flying off the shelves. Elle screamed running under the table.

"Brie stop," Elle said to me as I fought the magic.

"I wish I could," I gasped as spots floated across my vision. My breathing became ragged as the power pressed down on me. I fell onto my side barely conscious. I couldn't stop and it was going to kill me. Elle looked at me before crawling out. She grabbed my hand her magic calling to mine. I was confused as the power calmed in her presence as if it knew her. How could my power listen to her? Something didn't feel right as the magic stopped completely. I sat up as she looked at me. At first I thought she was concerned about me but soon I saw something dark inside her. As I looked into her eyes I could see she wasn't afraid of me at all, she coveted the power she didn't have, mine.

"Brie are you okay?" She asked as I stood up quickly. She wasn't good or kind but the very monster I was afraid to turn into...