Old Friend

I stood in the darkness as I took it all in. I died, I'm not coming back.

"Couldn't help but join me?" Josh called as I faced him.

"I couldn't handle losing Katherine," I said as Josh gripped my hand.

"Had to screw with fate agin," Josh smirked as I thought of Van.

"If it were up to me I would still be alive with those I care about. I left a great guy alone," I said as Josh nodded.

"Did you see my girlfriend?" Josh asked as I shook my head.

"No but there were so many people I barely found you," I said to Josh. I gasped my hand throbbing. I looked at my palm to see the cut Charles had given me.

"Looks like fate has plans for you," Josh said as the cut started to close.

"Josh I love you!" I spoke quickly before I was ripped away from him...

My eyes flew open and I was in a glass case. I was in fancy white dress with an elegant crown on my head. I got out of the glass coffin looking around. I was inside Van's palace. I looked at my reflection in a mirror nearby and realized Van gave me a funeral fit for a queen. I walked to the door pulling it open. I could feel Van across the palace. He was in the garden playing with the twins. I could feel how hard it was for him to look at the twins, especially Katherine knowing I was dead. I walked through the castle and out to the garden. Van was so preoccupied with the twins Lane spotted me first.

"Oh my god," Lane gasped catching Van's attention.

"What's wrong?" Van asked turning to face me. His mouth dropped open as the twins ran to me.

"Mommy," Katherine smiled grabbed onto the dress.

"Van," I whispered as he walked toward me slowly. He reached up touching my cheek as if making sure I was real. Lane stood there mouth still hung open.

"Lane your left side is open," I said getting him to shut his mouth. I crouched down pulling the twins into my arms. "Have you been good for Master Van?"

"Master?" Brooke giggled. "That's just Van."

"Yeah mom," Katherine said as Van looked at me. I reached up pulling the crown off putting it on Brooke's head. I stood up Van and I still staring at each other.

"Lane take the girls," Van said as Lane picked them up. I walked toward Van as his hands rested on my waist.

"Looks like I am kind of immortal in my own way," I said as he laughed.

"You died," he said as I looked at him.

"Death and I had a falling out," I smirked as he looked into my eyes. "I've decided death isn't my color."

"Oh cause death is optional," Van said trying not to laugh.

"Yeah I've decided I'm skipping that phase," I said as he pressed his lips to mine firmly. Electricity like I hadn't felt before danced across my skin as he pulled me against his body. I pulled away as we made our way through the palace.

"I'm throwing a party in your honor Sapphire," Van said as we walked hand in hand.

"You don't have to. I am happy just being near you," I said softly.

"You are worth every single thing I own," Van said as he led me into his room. He pulled a dark purple silk slip handing it to me. "I'll be back in a little bit to get you." Van rushed from the room as I pulled the dress on. I walked to the bathroom to look in the mirror. I pulled my hair down as I grabbed a soft pink lipstick. I put on the lipstick before grabbing a pair of tan pumps. I looked at my hand finding black lines extending from the unhealed wound Charles gave me. I had a feeling that wasn't a good thing.

"You look pretty," Charles's voice echoed through my mind. I turned to find I was alone.

"What have you done to me?" I asked as his laughter filled the silence.

"Something horrible," was the only answer I got before Van walked in.

"I brought you this," Van said handing me a small tiara. I put it on before taking his hand. I pushed Charles from my mind as I walked quickly with Van to the ballroom. We stepped into the room to find both rich and poor together in one room.

"Hey guys," I smiled as the music signaled it was time to dance. I faced Van as we waltzed through the crowd.

"I'm glad you're back," Van smiled when the music stopped. He got down on one knee as my heart raced.

"Oh my gosh," I gasped as he pulled out a ring.

"You are something else. I met you and was determined to hate you but I quickly realized I couldn't. You were sweet and kind and didn't care about stupid things like wealth. I found myself falling rather quickly for you to the point that I didn't care about anything other than your happiness. Will you Sapphire make me the happiest man and marry me?" Van asked as I tears filled my eyes.

"Yes I will marry you!" I said a smile spreading across my face as he put the ring on my finger. The moment the ring was on my finger pain radiated through me. I gasped looking at my hand seeing the black lines expanding. I pulled the ring off as Van looked at me confused. The pain faded as I looked at him. "I need to show you something."

"What?" Van asked as I led him out of the room. I held up my hand showing it to him.

"Charles cut my hand when he took me and it hasn't healed. Once the ring was on my finger the dark lines got worse," I said softly as he grabbed my hand. I wasn't sure how much this wound could alter. Could it change who I am?