Immortality for One

I woke to the man and woman panicking. They thought I had died.

"Thank god it would have been your fault if she died!" The woman snapped as I stood slowly.

"Has Van sent word yet?" I asked coolly as the man handed me a sealed envelope. "You didn't open it."

"No point if you were dead," the man said as I pulled it open.

Sapph,
I'm sorry you are yet again in danger because of me. I am working on a plan to save you but if I can't figure this out I will give my immortal life to you instead of to Zavier. I care more about your life than my own. If I die I hope you find happiness without me. Be safe my love.

I set the paper on fire before the man could read it. He grabbed me dragged me from the room angrily. He tossed me into a small room at the top of the stairs locking the door. I walked over to the tiny window looking out at the land. I could see the palace and I could almost feel Van's pain from here.

"I love you," I whispered hoping he could feel my emotions from here. "Be safe." I gasped as I felt magical fingers caress my cheek. It was Van telling me he heard. "Don't give your life for me."

"Time to go princess," Zavier said snatching my arm pulling me to a horse drawn carriage. I sat down as the white horses sped toward the city. Zavier held a golden knife against my side causing me to wince.

"What did Van do to you?" I questioned as he laughed.

"He lived," he said as we stopped in front of the palace as Zavier pulled me from the carriage. The knife pressed firmly into my skin as Van stood on the balcony watching me.

"Van please think of the people," I said as a small drop of blood formed around the knife as it dug into my left side. I held back a whimper as Van looked at the blood.

"Sapphire I have to," Van said as a tear fell down my face.

"I beg of you not to," I said despite the warning knife wounds being inflicted on my left side.

"Van last chance," Zavier spit as Van jumped over the balcony plummeting to the ground. Zavier released me as I race to his limp body before me. I grabbed him pulling him toward me.

"No you can't do this to me," I sobbed as his lifeless eyes looked up at me. I rested my head on his chest overcome by my sorrow. I hadn't realized how much I had grown to care for him. Zavier cheered a sadistic cheer, a joyful celebration to him. I watched as a glowing light entered my body and I knew Van had done what he said, given me immortality but it was a cursed immortal life without him. I felt rage pounding inside me as I stood facing Zavier. "You killed him!"

"Say back or you'll join him," I wished Zavier's threat was correct but he could no longer kill me. I allowed the anger and pain to fuel the fire inside me as I launched all my power at Zavier. His eyes filled with shock at the level of magic. I sent more dark energy at him until a hole was ripped through his chest. He looked at me in disbelief falling to his knees before his eyes dulled. I didn't stop until his body was destroyed completely.

"Sapphire stop," Lane said after I used my power on multiple trees taking my pain out on whatever I could find. "It's okay to stop."

"He's gone," I cried out my legs buckling. I kneeled next to Van's body seeing blood in the corner of his mouth. He died to save me, I was the weakness he never saw coming, I was a hand crafted fulcrum to his empire.

"We should go inside," Lane said.

"Put Van in his room," I said emotionlessly. I couldn't feel anything but anger. How could he be dead?

"Sapphire are you okay?" Lane asked as I got to my feet following Van's body to his room.

"Fine," I said lying next to Van. I gripped his hand shutting my eyes. I used the power to call to him.

"Sapph what are you doing?" Van asked as I wrapped my arms around him.

"I had to see you," I said as his fingers touched my cheek. "I killed Zavier for good."'

"I love you," Van said ignoring my comment.

"I don't want to live forever without you," I said softly as he pressed his lips to mine silencing me. I felt an electricity dance across my lips as his arms pulled me closer. I felt the familiar hum of magic.

My eyes flew open to see a glowing light linking us together. My lips parted slightly as pain radiated through my body. I bit back a scream and allowed the power to run its course. I felt his heart beat once before falling silent. I felt a spark as his heart jumped again. He was coming back to me one way or the other. I whimpered squeezing the sheets trying to ignore the pain but the pain quickly turned to agony from agony to torture. My vision blurred with the pain. I clamped my jaw down as Van's heart started pounding rapidly.

"Van," I gasped my forehead slick with sweat. My body was struggling to maintain control over the magic and to bring him back from the dead. "Damn it wake up!" I groaned collapsing against him as the power faded away. First was the disappointment as he wasn't alive then the exhaustion hit. I wasn't used to the power. I looked at him with sadness. Even I couldn't bring him back. He gave his life to save me and I couldn't even bring him back. I laid next to him tears cascading down my face. I lost him...