8.

CAMILA
Today is my first day at my new school. Sure I could've stayed at my old one but I kind of wanted a fresh start where no one knew me or my family's business, somewhere I could reinvent myself.

Besides I would've had to wake up half an hour earlier if I stayed at my old school and there was no way I was doing that.

"Ready?" My Mum asks.

"Yeah" I reply as I grab my bag and head for the car.

I should be nervous right? Starting a new school, being surrounded by new people but I don't feel nervous at all, I feel excited and happy that our lives are finally moving on from our past. We get to school in minutes and I knew the way to walk home instantly, it was around a 5, 10 minute walk, it was pretty close. I jump out of the car and thanked my Mum and say bye to Sofia.

I walk through the gates and the nerves suddenly hit me. Shit. I take out my timetable and see that I have English first, I didn't mind English. Hopefully the teachers are good here.

I look around and see all these groups of friends and realise I would have to make some soon. Fuck. I look at the map and head to my lesson in case I get lost. I arrive 5 minutes early which is decent with it being my first day.

Students start arriving outside the class and my nerves shoot up even more. 

"Hi, you're the new girl right?" A boy with short brown hair asks.

"Yeah, I'm Camila" 

"Shaun" he introduces. "How you feeling?"

"Nervous" I tell truthfully. 

He laughs "don't worry about it, we're all nice really" he smiles again and heads back to his group of friends.

We all go into the classroom and I realise I don't have a specific seat so I wait for the teacher to tell me. 

"Yes Miss Cabello" she smiles at me "you'll be sitting at the back next to Dinah"

I look to the back of the classroom and see a girl waving at me smiling. This class seemed nice. I headed over and took my seat. 

"Hi," she started "thank God you look normal"

I laughed confused. 

"I knew I would have to new girl sitting next to me, I was scared she'd be weird, but you seem normal" she explained

"Thanks I guess" 

"No problem, how you finding it so far?"

I nodded "Yeah the people seem nice" 

"Yeah we're like a family here, I love it," she looked around our class "not many people can say they enjoy going to school, but I can"

"That's good"

"Where'd you move from?"

"Oh it was only like half an hour away but I thought it'd be best to start at a new school" 

Dinah nodded "You'll be glad you got into this one, trust me"

"You're making me excited and I don't even know why" I giggled. 

She laughed back "My job here is done then"

The lesson was actually way better than I thought. I learnt so much in the space of just an hour and I loved it. 

"So what do you have next?" Dinah asked when the lesson was ending. 

I grabbed my timetable "Business, what about you?"

"Psychology, find me at lunch, I'll show you around" she smiled "I'll be in the canteen "

"Okay, I'll see you" I made a friend. I have a feeling I'm going to absolutely love it here, like Dinah said I'll enjoy coming to school"

Business was a great lesson too, Shaun was in my class too and he introduced me to a few people, I sat next to this girl Sue, she was so funny, she had me laughing the whole lesson. Who knew a first day of school could be so fun?

It was lunch now and I got some chips and pizza from the canteen and looked around for Dinah.

"Hey Mila, over here" I looked over to the voice and it was Dinah. She called me Mila and I'd only just met her, this friendship was going to last. 

I walked over to her table and she was accompanied by two other girls. I smiled and sat down beside Dinah, opposite the two girls. "Hi" I said awkwardly.

"Mila, this is Normani and Ally" she pointed to the taller one first then the smaller one.

"Hi" they both said in unison

I smiled at them and started to eat my food. "So, where are you from?"

I looked up at Ally who asked the question "Miami" I just moved from like half an hour away, not that far. 

"Oh okay" she smiled "I'm from Texas"

"Yeah me too" Normani also informed. 

"I've always wanted to go there" I exclaim.

"We should all go" Dinah looked hopeful of these new plans. 

"Yes oh my God can we?" Normani replied.

I had just met these girls yet they are inviting me to go to Texas with them, what the hell is going on? 

"I'm in" Ally smiled excitingly.

They all stared at me "Mila?" 

"Yeah sure" I was a little taken aback by how welcoming they are being. It's nice but scary at the same time.

"Should we invite other people?" Normani asks.

"Dinah looked at her like they were having their own conversation telepathically"

"How about Shaun and the boys?" Ally asked obviously oblivious to what was happening between her friends. She then looked at them waiting for an answer and something clicked in her head because her facial expression changed "Oh, that's what you meant" 

"What did you mean" I asked curious.

"An old friend of ours" Normani replied. 

I nodded knowing it wasn't my place to talk about it with them.

"I wouldn't mind inviting her" Ally said.

Dinah rolled her eyes and gave in "Fine, it's not like she'd even come."