33.

LAUREN

I've been having to sit downstairs for dinner every night so I can 'bond' with the family, not that they are my family. I would've said no but my Dad is worried about me being in my room all the time so I had to amuse him for a while. 

Its always so awkward, so boring and so forced. I always feel Camila's eyes on me too which doesn't help the awkwardness at all. 

"Jenny invited me to go to her house on Tueday, can I go?" I caught Sofia ask her mother across the dinner table. 

I had to stop myself from laughing. Jenny was the same girl she was hating on in the car and now she wants to go to her house. I wish I was a kid again. 

"Don't you hate her?" Camila voiced my opinion 

Sofia looked at her sister and shrugged "She spoke to me today and she was nice." 

How simple was it for her to make friends with someone she disliked hours before this meal? I so wish I was a kid again. 

"So can I go?" Sofia redirects the conversation back to the original question

"I don't see why not" Sinu starts to think about it "I might not be able to pick you up on Tuesday, I'm meeting a friend. What time do you think you'll be done?" 

Sofia shrugs her shoulders "I don't know" 

"I'll pick her up don't worry honey" 

I instantly cringe at the pet name and concentrate my attention on my food. 

"Thanks Mike" Sofia smiles widely at him. 

The atmosphere suddenly becomes awkward again as all that can be heard is forks scraping against the plates and people eating. I knew they would try to involve me soon and I really wasn't in the mood. I mean, when am I. I don't get why they waste their energy to be honest. 

I can see my Dad looking at me from the corner of my eye and I know its coming. "So Lauren, are you going to the beach tomorrow with Camila?" 

I look up from my food and glance at Camila then look at my Dad. "No, I have  few things to do" I lie. I couldn't exactly tell him the real reason now could I.

My Dad looks at me in a way that says 'I know you're lying'. Don't challenge it Dad, don't do it. "What things" and he did it. 

"It's personal" I simply reply trying to make out that I didn't want to talk about it in front of everyone when in actual fact I had no prior things to do. I hope he wouldn't come to my room to ask me later. I had to seriously think of things I could do- and personal too. Shit. 

I caught Camila's eye and she sort of looked sympathetic but that soon faded.