23.

I could feel her arms wrapped around me while we slept. It was the best feeling ever, feeling so safe.

"Camila" she whispered in my ear trying to wake me up. "your phone's ringing"

I opened my eyes and could hear the buzzing of my phone. Lauren let go of me and let me search for it. I saw it on the other side of the tent so I grabbed it and quickly answered it without looking at who it was.

"Hello"

"Hi baby" it was my Dad. Shit.

I looked toward Lauren and she was staring at me. I pointed outside and then to the phone letting her know I'll be outside talking. She nodded her head.

"Mila?" He said when I didn't reply.

"Yes"

"Can I see you soon, I miss you"

I huffed. Why did he have to call. "I don't think so Dad"

"Why not" his voice grew aggressive. I didn't answer. I wouldn't answer him when he was like this. He was silent and then carried on "I'm sorry. I haven't been drinking" he informed.

I rolled my eyes, ive heard that one before.

He must have known what I was thinking "4 days Mila, I know it's not much but I promise I'm trying, I've been going to AA meetings everyday"

"Really?" I was surprised, he never stopped drinking for more than a few hours and he did seem sober. He never under any circumstances admitted he had a problem and never agreed to go to AA meetings. Is this real.

"I promise. Listen I know you might not want to see me because I'm not a very good Dad to you but I want to change" I didn't reply. "I want to be better" I could hear him choke out

I felt a tear roll down my face and I quickly wiped at it "Okay"

"What?"

"I'll see you, but you have to be sober for two weeks before I see you"

I could sense his smile through the phone "of course Mila, thank you"

"Don't thank me yet Dad, please don't let me down"

"I won't baby, I promise I'll really try. I love you"

"I love you too"

The phone call ended and I headed back into the tent. I zipped it back up and awkwardly sat down next to Lauren. She looked up at me. What would happen now?

"Everything okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, that was just.." should I tell her?

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to"

"No, I want to its just"

"It's fine"

"It was my Dad" I looked down

"Oh"

"Yeah, he wants to see me" I looked up at her and she was listening carefully "he sounded like he was trying"

"That's good then?"

"I guess but I don't want to upset my mum"

She nodded in understanding. It suddenly got awkward again as I started playing with the sheets on the floor.

"So.." I looked at her. Her eyes were watching my hands. She was finding this awkward too. "Should we talk about what happened?"

Her eyes met mine and she shrugged looking away. Great. I forgot just how difficult she was to talk to.