14.0

"I expect all of you to study for our mid term exams tomorrow. This is a great opportunity to show universities that they should accept you."

I sighed before closing the books. The pressure is surreal. I have exams tomorrow for mid terms, and then two days after that, I have the entrance exams for the medical university I applied to. Why did they both have to happen on the same week?

"It's okay, Eunji." Yuri says, patting my back. "I know you could do it."

"I just need to unwind. I think i'm not ready for tomorrow." I admit.

"Oh, I know a way to cheer you up!" She excitedly say while the rest of the student who attended night schools leaves. "Pack your stuff and follow me."

"Why?" I ask, giving her a smile. "Where are we going?"

"I think you need some caffeine in your system."

Sometimes I hate her for knowing me so damn well.

*

The streets of Daegu around this time of the night is quite surprising. Especially on this specific street because it looks like the night is just starting for them. Lights are flashing on and off, people buying a lot of street food, and shops becoming really busy due to a lot of customers.

I guess the fact that it is a Friday night makes sense, but it's still quite surprising yet fun. I'm really glad that we decided go walk on the way here instead of getting in the bus.

"Here we are!" Yuri excitedly opens the glass door of the coffee shop. It's my first time going here because it's a new shop and of course Yuri would know this place since she's somewhat a coffee connoisseur.

As soon as I enter the coffee shop, a whiff of freshly brewed coffee is what hit my nose as well as the smell of freshly baked cookies and cupcakes. How I would love to work in a coffee shop like this.

"Ah, Yuri!" The barista from the front greets her with a smile. He looks a little older than us, maybe a year or two. "Do you want your regular order?"

"Not today, Minho." She smiles back, taking a seat on one of the stools in front the barista. "We're here today because we have exams tomorrow."

"Perfect! and who's this lovely girl?" He asks, looking at me.

"She's Eunji." She introduces me to him as I take the seat beside her. "She's my bestfriend I was talking to you about."

"Hey." I greet him. "Wait, what? What did she tell you about me?"

"Oh, nothing much." He laughs, wiping the counters. "Just the fact that you like baking and cooking. Oh, and that you've never had a boyfriend before."

I gasp. "Yuri!" I swat my palm against her arm. "Why do you tell people that kind of stuff?"

"It's okay, he's my friend and he's the son of the owner of this shop." Yuri clings into my arm in an apologetic way. "And besides, he wouldn't tell anyone. Right, Minho?"

"Of course. I think that makes a girl very precious too."

"A girl who's never had a boyfriend before is precious?" I ask, confused.

He nods. "Yeah, it means they're still innocent and pure."

"Minho!" Yuri exclaims as she laughs. "Just give us two caramel macchiato please."

He winks to the both of us. "Coming right up."

*

Yuri and I decided to drink our beverages while walking back home because it's getting late. People are still walking on these busy streets though, while the street lights shine very brightly on the posts.

We pass by a lot of shops, but in this particular area was the arcade that's open for twenty four hours. I haven't been inside an arcade ever before in my life. I wonder what's inside.

I stand in front of the arcade, imagining what might be inside of this building. It's about two stories high, and the design, colors and lights make it stand out a lot from the rest of the shops.

After a while, I suddenly felt something hot spreading to my shirt, pulling me away from my trance. I blinked twice to see a mascot who's bumped into me, knocking out my coffee into my clothes. My white school uniform now stained with this brown drink.

"Aigoo!" Yuri immediately takes a piece of tissue paper from her purse and dabs it into my shirt. I looked at the bear mascot who's giving out flyers for the arcade. It didn't move or anything, it just stood right in front of me like it didn't know what to do.

"Can you be careful next time?" Yuri angrily say to the mascot. "What will you do if she burned herself?"

The mascot still didn't move until an old looking man comes out, with a name tag on his right chest that says manager. He apologized right away and made us stay inside the lobby area of the arcade where there are booths to collect the prizes and buy tokens from.

"We are very sorry." The manager follows us then bows his head. "Say sorry to her."

The mascot behind him shakes his enormous head. The manager furrows both of his brows and pulls the mascot's arm in one of the booths. "Give us a second, please."

"How rude!" Yuri still patting the coffee stain on my uniform. "I'll be right back, i'll soak these napkins on soap water."

I nod and she turns to find her way to the washroom. I looked at the mascot and the manager. The manager seems to be furious at the mascot, scolding him while it still has its suit on.

"Get rid of this," the manager taps the mascot head harshly. "And go there and apologize to her, or else you're fired!"

I overheard from the noisy game background musics. They soon come back, the mascot now walking in front of the manager. They stop as they reach me, and the manager nudges the mascot with his elbow, giving me an awkward smile.

The mascot hesitates at first, but then slowly raises his huge furry head costume. My mouth gaped open as my eyes widened when I saw the person beneath the mascot suit.

Yoongi.

"I'm sorry." He says as he glances at me then quickly looks away. He scratches the back of his neck, gulping while his cheeks grew red contrasting his pale skin.

"D-don't worry about... it." I say, not really sure on what to say or to do.

"Forgive us, miss." The manager says again, pleading with his hands.

I nod, still looking at Yoongi. His black hair are all wet, probably because of nothing but his own sweat. His face looked oily and dripping, especially on his chin, nose and temples.

Yoongi then quickly puts back the head on and that's when I realized that Yuri is back.

Doesn't he want Yuri to know that he's the mascot?

"They're out of soap, can you believe it?" She rolls her eyes. "Let's get out of here."

"Y-yeah." I say and turn to the manager. "Please don't fire him."

The manager looked surprised and confused at the same time, as well as Yuri but she didn't ask me about it. We head towards the exit and begin walking home like nothing happened, besides Yuri still looking out for me.

"Why are you so nice to them?" She asks. "You could've burned yourself."

"But I didn't, so it's okay."

I... I didn't know that Yoongi has a job. Is that why he's not going to night school? Is that where he goes to on the weekends?

I can't believe this. All this time I thought that he's not going to night school because he's just not interested in studying. But... looking at it now.

How can I be so judgmental?

"You look like you have so much in your mind." Yuri says, making me blink twice and go back to reality.

"It's nothing much, really." I admit, making her drop the topic.

It's just Yoongi i'm thinking about.