A friendly visit

Shin's POV

My parents are very serious about me attending school. When I was a little kid, my mom used to rush me out of bed and force me to set out clothes for the next day so I wouldn't have to spend ten years looking for my uniform, and she'd always have time to brush my hair, and nag at me to make sure that I had enough sleep. I guess as I got older she gave me a lot more responsibility for myself. After I made sure that Dad was here to stay, she only has time to kill. (No pun intended.)

She doesn't let me cook, or clean, or even tidy up her room. It doesn't stop me from doing those things anyway, because if I don't, who will? My house used to be a cesspool of garbage and filth before I took it upon myself to make this place livable. One day after work, she came home to see my vacuuming.

Her reaction was the exact opposite of pleasant.

"YOU, YOU LITTLE DEMON CHILD. DON'T CLEAN! THIS PLACE IS UNCLEAN! THIS PLACE SHOULDN'T BE ANYTHING REMOTELY LIKE A HOME! IT'S HELL! IT'S HELL FOR AS LONG AS I HAVE TO LOOK AT YOU!" If I remember her words correctly before stabbing me in the neck with a pen.

I knew she would have reacted negatively, but at the time I only cared for Osana. tHaT Taro~ stealing bITcH. I'm a little embarrassed to admit for that fateful summer I spent being brutally murdered by my mother was caused by my obsession to clean for "just in case" Osana would come visit me whenever we started dating. Ugh, it was so long ago when that happened, and so many things have happened. In the end, I have to thank her for introducing me to Taro Yamada. MY best friend.

Anyways, I've skipped school today to clean my house. It's nowhere near as filthy as it used to be, but I've got to make sure everything is absolutely perfect for Taro when he comes to visit me.

I know he's going to visit me.

Yesterday, I had witnessed the death of our fellow classmate Musume Ronshaku at the hands of a desperate man into his neck in debt. Being in shock of the ordeal, I have decided not to go to school, which means Taro is worried about my well-being, and, being the good person that he is, he'll visit me as soon as possible so he can make sure his best and only best friend Shin is okay.

And that is why I am hand-scrubbing the floors.

You're probably wondering where my parents are. They're...taken care of. For now.

DING DONG

That must be my Taro! He's a lot earlier than expected, school isn't over yet. But who cares! Taro Yamada is here to check up on me! I hope he has cup ramen again. I casually stroll to the front door- don't want to look too eager, Shin. I fix my hair a little and check for any stains on my clothes, and I open the front door. Without hesitation, a familiar pair of arms wrap around my neck.

"Oh Shin, we were so worried about you. Are you alright, Mr. Vice President?" Supana rested her head in my chest as the other members of the Occult club gave me equally worried looks, except for Chojo, who was staring daggers at Supana. I stroked her hair a little- "I'm fine Supana. I'm feeling a lot better now..." I lied. Truthfully I feel awful because Taro isn't here, but I'm at least thankful Oka and the others came to reassure me.

Chojo grabbed Supana by her shoulders and pulled her off me. "Hey!" she yelled.

"Please, don't crowd him..." he said quietly to her. Oka stepped closer to me- "He's right. We shouldn't have barged in like this..." she looked to the ground. "We just wanted to make sure you were okay Shin. After yesterday..." she grabbed her shoulder, rubbing it up and down.

I smiled. Oka is a great friend and a wonderful club leader, and I wish she would stop feeling embarrassed about doing nice things for me. I pull her closer to me and hug her. "I appreciate this Oka. Thank you for checking up on me. All of you." I say truthfully. "I'd feel a lot better if you all came inside as well." I smile.