I-I'm fine, Shin.

Shin's POV

"So what you're telling me is... that you want to join the Cooking club?"

Taro crossed his arms and nodded slowly. "Yeah... pretty much. But it's... more complicated than that."

He scratched the back of his neck. I don't get it. What's he so nervous about? It's me; his best friend Shin. If baking cookies and creaming on brownies makes Taro happy, then I will happily cream with him.

"Shin? Why are you smiling?"

"I uh, thought of a funny joke." And I wasn't smiling- I was smirking.

He shook his head. "This isn't funny Shin. I'm trying to tell you about..." He looked down, and I felt my soul head that direction. Damn my imagination!

"I'm sorry." I said calmly. "Please, tell me what's troubling you." I can't let Taro think that of me as some kind of joke! I'm not a joke! I'm his best friend!

But he tilted his head back up- (phew!)- and sighed, looking at me with such a meaningful stare. "Okay." He breathed out. "Well... Shin, we've been hanging out for a while, and... well, I feel like I can trust you. Like I can tell you anything."

Anything?

He uncrossed his arms and stepped towards me. "And I want to tell you that I..."

I?

"I think... that I-"

RIIIING

"That's the bell. We should get to class." He said quickly and stepped around me. Why would he stop? What was he going to say?

"Taro? Wait. We have plenty of time before class starts. What did you want to tell me?" I'm not letting him go that easily. But his blushing red face is making it nearly impossible for me to not call him adorable!

"Taro, you can tell me anything."

But I wish I can say the same for myself.

Taro looks to the ground again- "I- I'm sorry, it- it's just... Oh man, I didn't mean to act like this today..." He rubs his shoulder repeatedly, and looks around over and over again. What's the matter with him?

"Taro? Have you been okay lately? You seem a little... tense?"

"I-I'm fine, Shin. I just want to join the Cooking club, and I wanted you to know." He smiles. Now I know how Chojo felt to be lied to...

Nevertheless, I pretend to believe him. I nod my head and walk him to class like always. I wish I knew what was going on in that head of his.

"Taro?"

He looks at me. "Yeah?"

"I wish I could cut open your head, and kill whatever's troubling your mind."

He gasps and I smile. We walk the rest of the way in complete and utter silence- I'm okay with the silence. Being near him brings me to nirvana every day. I can deal with a little quiet time.