Worthless strawberries

Shin's POV

After two days of hospitalization, Taro Yamada had decided to return to school, although I would have preferred him sitting in bed and waiting for me to visit. He hasn't spoken to me much since his arrival, but at least he accepts enough me to walk next to him. His body language and shuddering demeanor tells others that he doesn't want socialization, and I know they understand why.

But it's not just Taro in shock and grief; Amai Odayaka was not Musume Ronshaku. She was a caring and beloved student at this school, and an idol for some to look up to. People are still crying over the loss of such a sweet girl. If I weren't so close to him, I would have broken down in laughter a long time ago.

I hear someone's footsteps getting louder behind me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a green haired girl with a box, decorated with little balloons on the side. I grab Taro's shoulder to alert him and he turns and face her.

"Oh... Koharu." he says. When I'm not in either of their focus, I lick my hand a little.

"H-hey, Yamada-senpai, we've heard about what happened to you and..." she looks away. "Well, some of the girls wanted to give you this as... well, a-um..." she looks down nervously as she fumbles around a proper word to call it. I smirk (for once, I'm happy to be out of focus. It has its benefits... sometimes).

"Do you think this will make anything better? Taro doesn't need your pathetic pity gifts just to make yourself feel better!" I scold her.

"W-what? No, that's not what it's like! We just thought it would be nice to-" but I continue before she finishes.

"To what? Do your good deed for today? Do you really think cookies or cupcakes are going to make him feel better?"

"I-it's strawberries..." she says quietly.

"After all he's been through, you should be a little more considerate!" To put the icing on the cake- I mean, strawberries, I swat the entire box out of her hands and to the ground, splattering them everywhere. Koharu Hinata looks absolutely horrified, and soon enough tears form in her eyes. "H-how could you be so mean...!" she screams while running away and crying. Good, keep crying! Taro doesn't need anyone's sympathy except mine anyway!

I pretend to look ashamed of what I've done and bow at him apologetically. "F-forgive me Taro, I just didn't know if...huh?" but I don't finish. Taro is already walking away from me, before I'm done talking. Oh no, Shin... did you mess up? I run after him and grab his arm on impulse. "Hey, Taro, where are you going? Is this about-"

"Don't touch me!" he screams as he forcefully throws my arm off his. He growls and walks away from me faster than before. I'm standing in the middle of the hallway frozen, unable to stop myself from letting Taro disappear from sight. T-Taro... I think I mumble, but he couldn't have heard me either way. And pretty soon I'm crying. I don't try to wipe my eyes or think of things to make myself feel better, but I just let myself cry. I use crying as a way to teach myself a lesson;

Think about what made you cry Shin. And never let it happen again.

The tears keep flowing down, but now I'm smiling. Taro may have rejected me, but I won't let that defeat me. I'll just... I'll just get stronger! Strong enough to make Taro never reject me again!

"Shin... why are there strawberries on the ground?" A familiar voice- Oka. Time to be normal again.

"Oh, that's because-"

She gasps. "Shin! Are you crying? What happened...?" she touches my wet face, but immediately pulls away as her face turns blood red. Fine, it wasn't blood red, but it was still pretty red. I think I have the paranormal on my mind too much... "S-sorry for... touching you..."