Photo

Daku's POV

The wind blowing in the cold night almost blows out my candles. I said specifically that every participant should bring one candle, but of course my ideas are swept underneath the lowest ugliest thrift shop rug. If the President can enforce us to pray to demons in the dark, she can enforce us to make it a little brighter so we wouldn't be in the damn dark!

The others look like fools on vacation- happy, oblivious, and completely unaware of the danger about to unfold. "It's so spooky up here. Do you think we'll really summon it this time?" Supana asks foolishly while Kokuma just stands there. I don't have the energy to answer, but I don't have time to hear her speak.

If Higaku wants us to get this over with he should at least be more punctual.

"Like you, Atsu-sensei?" Tekina shows up behind me holding a lit candle. "Tekina, we're not supposed to light it now!" He glances at the candle for a brief second and then puts it out with his bare fingers. "Better?"

"Y-yeah, I guess. But this situation isn't! Our President, Vice President and new arrivals aren't here. What am I supposed to do- wait like some stupid child?" I kick at the railing, and I just know that the others are giving me funny looks, as per usual.

Urk! Tekina's trying to choke me! Oh wait, he's doing something else. Hugging me? "Just wait." He whispers in my ear, then lets me go and joins the others.

Supana's ranting and raving at him, and Kokuma's just listening as usual. It makes me wonder; do they see the light fade away from his eyes when they speak? Do they see that he doesn't truly belong?

Nah. They're all idiots.

"Daku, hello. Have you seen Shin?" Oka is, how they call it, fashionably late- which is a Neanderthalic term to try to make rudeness sociably acceptable.

"Oka, you've surprised me! And no. I haven't, but it's for the best! Shin would slow us down, and we can't make any mistakes tonight." She nods her head when I talk- for the first time in her life she agrees with me! But Tekina's shaking his head past her. I know I know, we can't do really do this without him. We- I- wouldn't know what to say to them.

But I'll never admit that.

"I know it's getting late, but Shin has agreed to host our session. He said he knew what he was doing. So I think it's best that we wait..." Figures. His word over mine anyway, eh President? It would be a lot more bearable if I were able to fit in better.

Well, I hate everyone, but for some reason I also want to fit in.

Is that so much to ask for?

"Yes." Damn it, is Tekina talking to me!?!

"...Yes." I turn around and he's behind me- again! "Well since you have so much to say, what the hell was it!?!" I ball my fists.

"Shinpai... is here... and so are the others." But just as I'm about to question how the hell he knew that, he points to the entrance of school. Lo and behold, there's our Vice President, our bland new member walking beside him (and talking very excited like for some reason,) and within the shadows out of sight is the beautiful Ayano, lurking behind them and carrying something shiny in the moonlight.

What is that thing in her hand? It looks like a-

"Knife." Chojo grumbles and chucks his candle right at the knife, disarming Ayano. The following noise made them notice her, but I can't make out what they're talking about, so I look at Chojo who apparently has all the answers. "Well?" I ask.