- Twenty Three.

Normani Kordei Hamilton.

"Mami!"

I blink quickly, snapping out of my trance as perfectly tattooed hands clap in my face trying to get my attention. "What?"

"Ugh!" Kehlani groans as she presses her hand against her forehead. She was being a little dramatic, but I guess it's well deserved, I was a bit off today. But who wouldn't be? I was performing for Zayn and his mystery friend, tonight. Tonight. And tomorrow would be my hearing. I can't do this.

"Aye, listen to me." Kehlani holds onto my arms, forcing me to look at her. "You're going to do this, and you're going to win this." She drills into my head as if she knew about my doubts.

I nod, but then my eyes travel over to my initial distraction, you know, the one other than the fear of failure... this one was different. This one was bubbly, beautiful, tall, blonde... this one was Dinah.

But this one made me frown as well, only because of what she was doing.

Today, or rather right now, was my last practice with the girls. Tinashe was out getting coffee for us while Kehlani drilled my mistakes into me. But honestly, I was more focused on the beautiful girl who seemed to be having an amazing time with her best friend.

I get it. Zayn and her have been friends for a long time, but I can't control my feelings, and feelings of jealousy have been sparking everywhere ever since I saw the two of them together for the first time today. They looked so happy, and so smiley, and I keep trying to convince myself that they're only friends, but who am I kidding? He could be into her, she could be into him, I may never know. Another thing that I've been trying to convince myself to do, is get over this stupid crush. Because that's what it is. Stupid.

"Do you want me to get them to leave?" Kehlani asks, dropping her voice to a whisper as her eyes follow mine to where the pair of friends are wearing matching smiles, both reaching their eyes.

Yes.

"No." I shake my head as if what she's saying is ridiculous, pure madness. Why would I want them to leave? Then Kehlani would know something is up, and she wouldn't stop teasing me. "No, let's just... let's just go on."

"Nevermind, let's take a little break so that we can break you out of your little distraction bubble."

I nod, sitting down next to Kehlani on the floor, hugging my knees to my chest as I toy with the necklace that my father got me. Usually, I don't wear it because it's just a painful reminder of my mother, but I just felt like it today. Because my mother's presence was stronger when I wore it, and because I needed to be strong today. I needed her guidance.

"You okay there?" Kehlani asks, slightly worried, but I give her half a nod and then focus on the necklace again.

Playing with the small, flat part of the necklace, my eyebrows knit together as I run my fingers over a certain part, and feel a bump that I had never noticed before.

I sit up straight now, totally zoning out of the room as I try to figure out what's going on. I use my now perfectly manicured nails (for the night), to push the two sides away from each other, and sure as daylight, I find that it opens.

When it does open, I feel a small smile creep up on my face, masking the true sadness that I was feeling on the inside. On one side, it was a picture of my mother, and on the other of my father. There was an empty space underneath it, and I guess it was meant for someone else, but the curiosity was still there.

"Hey Normani."

I nearly jump out of my skin and close the now newly discovered locket as I lock my eyes with Dinah's happy ones. "Hey Dinah."
"So are you ready for tonight?" She asks happily, rocking back and forth on her heels as if the happiness is overflowing with in her, so much so that she's unable to stand still. "I mean your performance and all. You gotta make it count."