- Forty.

Q : Why is it forty, and not fourty?
A : Bc English is a bitch and I'll be annoyed every time I start a chapter, until I get to fifty.

Normani Kordei Hamilton.

"Hey Mani, do you have a..." Dinah trails off mid sentence as she enters my room, looking me over. "Wow." She breathes. "You look-" she pauses as she thinks. "For lack of a better word, because no word can describe the level, but gorgeous. Wow." She repeats, causing a warmth to rise up my neck and flow into my cheeks.

"Thank you." I reply shyly, momentarily forgetting that I'm actually mad at her. "You look good yourself." I reply and she smiles as she looks down.

"Thank you." She nods. "So I was actually coming to ask if you have a curling iron, or straightener, whichever works."

"Why?" I ask with a playful smile.

"Because I want to curl my hair."

"C'mere." I demand, patting the chair in front of the mirror. "Sit." I command, and she does just that. I put on the iron and wait for it to heat up, while combing a path into her hair.

"So have you made any progress?" She makes conversation as I pick up the iron, and begin curling her hair. "With the music making thing?"

"Well..." I pause to think of the proper words without offending her girlfriend. "I don't know if Jordin and I have agreed to disagree or... It's just not working." I confess. "We want different things."

"Oh." Dinah frowns.

"Yeah. It's basically like I want a career, and she wants me to be a one hit wonder." I add, watching a another curl spring free. "But anyway." I breathe, changing the subject and deciding to fish. "What do you think of her?"

"She's cool." Dinah shrugs, looking at herself in the mirror. "Once you look past the her being a celebrity thing, she's down to earth y'know?" She asks with a small smile. "Pretty." She shrugs again. "Funny."

"Oh."

Now it's my turn to frown. I curl the last bit and set the iron down. Her face forms into a frown again. "Mani." She eyes me through the mirror. "Are you still mad at me?" She asks, looking more worried than anything else.

"Potentially." I shrug, plugging the hair machine out and allowing it to cool down.

"So you're just going to be mad at me and not tell me what it is?" She asks before standing up, her eyes focused on me - but I can't meet hers or else I'll crumble.

"So you're going to keep asking me and not figure it out?" I retort, cocking my head to the side.

She sighs and walks towards me and I pray to God that I don't crumble. "Okay. Fine." She puts her hand on my shoulder. "I'll figure it out." She mocks me, and I have to fight not to smile. She looks conflicted for a second before coming closer and pressing her lips against my cheek - probably testing my boundaries. As she exits the room, I have a small flutter in my chest.

"Hey Dinah?"

"Yeah Mani?" She turns to me expectantly, and I smirk, leaving the room as well.

"You're still picking up Jordin right?" I ask, and she thinks a little before nodding.

"Yeah, why?"

"Because." I hold her gaze. "I'm sitting front seat at all times." I let her know before kissing her cheek as well. "I don't care if that bitch can breathe, with or without air, or not." I mutter.