- Twenty Five.

Normani Kordei Hamilton.

"So you legit got the mentorship you wanted?"

"Yeah."

"Congrats Mani, I'm so proud of you."

I smile at Arin's excited tone, knowing that he wanted me to have this as much as I wanted to have it.

"Thanks." I say gratefully. I wouldn't be anywhere without my friends shoving me around and prayers. Speaking of prayers. "How's my, uh, how's my dad?"

There's a silence as I stare over at the phone anxiously. I was busy doing my nails, so I had to put Arin on speaker.

"He's good overall. He's just been laying low, only going out when he has to."

"Do you think that I should-"

"-Normani." He cuts me off sternly. "You just got this job. You're going nowhere."

"I was just talking about visiting. Damn." I mumble, and I hear how he laughs on the other end.

"I know, that's why I stopped you."

"How did you-"

"-Normani Kordei Hamilton. I know you like the back of this very hand. I know all your highs and lows. I know you better than yourself, and I am telling you that you are not and I repeat, not, coming back here until you've released your first single. Got it?"

"Got it." I sigh, and he sighs as well.

"Know what your first song will be?"

"Nope." I pop the p, and watch as Kehlani freely walks into my room, sitting down on the edge of my bed. "But hopefully it'll be self written."

"Yeah, you have a ton of those." He agrees as Kehlani makes herself comfortable. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something else?"

"Oh?"

"Yeah." He sounds uneasy. "I wanna come out and visit you, if that's okay?"

I don't respond immediately, because I don't know how to, but he speaks again, making it easier on me.

"Not right now, no. I still know that you're getting your life in order and all." He says, putting me at ease. "But maybe in three weeks time?"

"That's so specific." I chuckle as I put my now dried feet on the floor, staring down at them.

"Well, it is your birthday, right? You're in a strange place with strange people, I want to at least come personally wish you. I miss you." I hear the pout in his voice and pout myself.

"Wait, are you okay?" I ask seriously. "Do you really just wanna see me?"

"Caught." He groans. "I actually wanna talk to you about something. But it uh... it has to be face to face."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, so can I come?"

"Sure." I nod, always happy to see my best friend. "Just let me know before you leave, okay?"

"Okay. Bye. See you soon." He ends the call. "Love you Mani."

"Love you too." I reply before the beep sounds, signalling that he hung up.

"So you're cheating on me now?"

"Cheating on-? Oh!" I roll my eyes and swat at her arm. "Shut up."