Chapter 44: What keeps me awake

Marinette tossed and turned in her bed as she mumbled a few curse words at herself. Yes, it was definitely a bad dream. A very bad dream.

"Marinette, Marinette, wake up!" A small voice yelled in her ear. Marinette stood up and looked down in horror at her body.

She was dead? No. Was this a sequel to her other nightmare? NO! Nightmares don't have sequels!

"Where am I?!" She exclaimed, jumping up. The angel giggled in an angelic tone before swooping down to her level.

"Oh, Marinette dear, we're in heaven." She smiled, poking her cheeks. The bluenette's eyes widened. This was happening! She was dead! No, no, no!

She screamed and screamed, begging to the angel in front of her to bring her back to the mortal world.

"Would you like a glimpse of your friends?" The Angel offered politely, holding a glass ball. Marinette shyly nodded.

There it showed Adrien and Chloe on the beach.

"Adrien! Come get me!" She shouted, splashing water to the blonde man who was busy setting the towels up.

She scoffed at Chloe. Adrien moved on... He moved on. Really fast. How does that happen?!

"I'm coming, Chlo." He chuckled. Adrien made his way to the water, wrapping his arms protectively around her waist.

"ADRIEN!" She shrieked, pecking him on the cheek. Marinette began to tear up, almost breaking the glass ball as she threw the ball onto the ground.

"I want to see my children. Hugo and Adrianna." She huffed, eyes red and puffy.

Next, the Angel showed Hugo and Adrianna in a home unfamiliar to Marinette. Her eyes widened at the sight of her two children being abused.

She almost broke her voice yelling at the crystal ball. She couldn't take it anymore. First Adrien, and now her children? It has gone too far.

She woke up, sweating, tears dripping down her face. Adrien got up too, comforting his wife.

"Hey, look at me," He cupped her cheeks, smiling. "That was just a nightmare. I would never move on if you're gone."

Marinette crossed her arms. How can she know it's true? "How do I know you're not tricking me?" She asked, voice cracking at the end.

Adrien looked taken aback, but he sighed. "Because I love you. And our children. No one else." Marinette grinned and embraced her husband.

Outside the window, a superhero was watching at the couple in disgust. She used her wings to flutter up onto the rooftop, grimacing at what she just saw.

"They can never be happy." She murmured, taking a rock and throwing down onto the ground. "I may be a super-heroine, but I will destroy whoever gets in my way."

"Starting with Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

Alyana swung by herself alone, staring intently at the seat beside her. Blinking the tears away, she held onto the other swing hugging it tightly.

Where was he when she needed him the most?

Sure, maybe she was a little harsh on him and didn't show any affection, but it was just how she rolled.

"I wish you here, Nath." She sighed, averting gaze with the swing. She could picture him. There. In that swing. Happily rocking his feet back and forth.

"But I am here." Alyana gasped and turned around to face her best friend. The brunette tackled him into a hug, squeezing him tightly.

"Nath! Where'd you go?" She cries, sinking into the redhead's arms. Nathan shushed her, trying to enjoy the moment they were having together.

Because this would be their last one.

He pulled away and brushed the bangs away from her face. "I'll come back someday, Aly. Not now." And with that, he ran away and disappeared.

Was is just an illusion? Was she loosing it? Did Nathan mean that much to her?

Nathan panted and panted, running for his dear life. He was tired. Restless nights, lack of energy... It was too much to handle.

But he couldn't give up. He needed Alyana. Alyana's what keeps him alive. As he lay down, he felt a hand touching his cheek.

"Nathan?" His eyes snapped open, looking at the beautiful reflection of his best friend and crush. "Hi, Nath." She suppressed a giggle.

"Aly!" He screamed, tackling her. Alyana lightly pushed him off her, smiling. "You're coming back, right?"

He paused. Was he? Would he? Is he willing to go back to his dark past for her? Alyana was getting a little impatient. She leaned in closer so that their noses were touching, before speaking. "Are you, Nath?"

"U-Um... I-I will, Aly..." He told her in a uncertain tone. Then suddenly he woke up with a headache.

A dream? No, no... No dreams! He can't go back. But he promised her. Her. Alyana.

The two looked up at the sky, wondering where the other half was. 'I wish you were here.'

Then they looked beside them, but saw no one. 'You're what keeps me awake'

This is short IK, but it was because I had writer's block again! Sorry for not updating yesterday I was baking with my family 😛 Anyways, happy reading and stay tuned for the next chapter! And thank you all for 1k! ❤️