Chapter 59: A flashback to the past

"Mom why are we going through-" Grace and Felix shushed Max together as they trudged through the dark alleyways. After what seemed like forever, they had decided on escaping today. It wouldn't be easy. And the fact that the kids don't know made it even harder.

Max rolled his eyes at his parent's rude behavior. This was the first and probably the last time he had ever seen his parents agree on something. They were very incompatible. He always wondered why his parents were ever together in the first place. Their minds thought differently. Felix was more on the rough and edgy side. As for Grace she was a happy-go-lucky mother. She was very protective of her children.

Unfortunately for them the village they lived in was far. This was day 2 of their 'trip'. Very little water or food. Grace had bought some secondhand sunglasses from a market to cover herself up. So did Felix.

"Hello how may I help you?" The two stopped in their tracks. In front of them was an officer they knew far too well. She remembered it just like it was yesterday...

Felix and Grace had just gotten through a load of cops chasing after them after Felix robbed a deli market. They were starving. The only way for them to survive is to commit a crime.

Of course she was against it but what could she do? There wasn't any other option. She knew it was wrong... "Hurry Felix we're going to get caught!" The said boy groaned as they continued to walk through the mud.

"Stay behind me Bridge!" He scolded her for her intolerable actions. Bridgette only sighed. Couldn't he have been more considerate?

She got that he wanted her and their soon to be child safe but was running away the best plan? Was there anything he was running away from? She couldn't recall any memories where he had some conflict.

Bridgette rubbed her small stomach in circles, caressing it lightly. "I'm sorry you have to live like this..." She pitied on her child. What kind of person would want their child to live in such a horrid place?

When they arrived all they could see was layers of dust and rubble. The village was very small, only consisting of 44 houses. Well they weren't really houses... Just some shelter to cover them up on rainy days.

Felix put his things on the ground and took a look at their new home. It was small but they could make it work right? Of course he'll have to work a lot to pay off the debts... It wasn't much to worry about though.

Her eyes travelled to the little bugs crawling on what was left of the floor. She shrieked at the very big one. "Felix we CANNOT live like this!" She protested. He didn't want to hear it. He worked his butt off just to buy this stupid small shelter.

He was going to make sure his unofficial wife and child would have a good life. It saddened him to think he'll be gone for most of their lives. Someone had to pay the bills right? The whole time he carried sacks of potatoes and vegetables to big companies that would sell them to Paris. He never bothered to tell Bridgette about all this.

After all, the stress of having a child was good enough. 3 months after they had moved in his wife gave birth to a healthy baby boy named Maxton.

He was overwhelmed that he had a child. But him and Bridgette got distant....

"I don't understand why you aren't here all the time. Felix, I'm pregnant with our third child! Third!" He rolled his eyes while Bridgette complained. If he could tell the truth he would've told her ages ago! "I'm going out." With a huff, he left the house without a single trace.

'What did I ever do wrong?'

I am so sorry for not updating in like 12 days! Guys I really was just busy! This chapter is really short because I rushed through it but I promise the next chapter will be even longer! Anyways, happy reading and stay tuned for the next chapter!