NINE

Breezeblocks

She bruises, coughs, she splutters pistol shots
Hold her down with soggy clothes and breezeblocks,
She's morphine, queen of my vaccine.

Jasmine awoke to the pile of books being scattered around her after staying up late reading them and Kai soundly asleep beside her. She admired him for the moment she had where she finally got to see him asleep, he looked normal. Like a normal twenty-two-year-old, like a human. He stirred slightly and she looked away, praying that he didn't know that she was staring at him.

"What time is it?" He groggily asked, his eyes opening one by one but he seemed to remember that there wasn't a clock in here and Jasmine did not have a phone, he mumbled a quick never mind than sitting up and stretching his arms out. Jasmine did not find out much more after their short lived conversation about the curse, Kai wasn't one for giving up information.

"I thought since you haven't tried to escape for a while that maybe I'd take you out for a walk today," Kai announced, the thought brought a smile to Jasmine's face at the idea of being able to walk around and breathe fresh, clean air rather than the grotesque, musty air of the motel rooms that she had endured for weeks.

"Where are we?" Jasmine was curious to where she was, she had lost count of what day it was, she was completely disoriented nevertheless, she was not as miserable as she was in the beginning. 

"Some small town in Florida, it's close to some mall that we can visit." He shrugged a jacket on, he didn't have a lot of clothes as he wanted to travel light so he seemed to wear the same pair of skinny jeans and grey t-shirt every day with his black denim jacket over the top of it.

Jasmine couldn't deny that he wore it well, he wore it very well indeed and she hated how her kidnapper was attractive because it was a waste of a beautiful face on an ugly personality. "Well, that's rather kind of you, Kai." She smiled at him, in attempt to be as kind as she could to a sociopath.

"Don't get used to it." He uttered before kicking her converse over to where she was sat on the bed, she eyed them for a moment before sliding them onto her feet, not bothering to undo the laces. She wanted to freshen up but Jasmine was lucky at times, she rarely had a bedhead nor did she ever look rough in the morning.

Jasmine frowned at the countless Christmas decorations that seemed to be scattered amongst the houses in the small town, she had been kidnapped in mid-November, it should have occurred to her that Christmas was only around the corner.

"It's the twenty-third of December, Jazzy." It had seemed a while that he called her Jazzy but that was not what made her eyes widen, it was the fact that Christmas was merely two days away. She didn't want to cry about the fact she was spending Christmas away from her family because she knew the moment Kai saw a tear he would march them straight back home.

Home.

Kai was not her home and she couldn't quite believe that she had called that wretched motel room her home, the only home she will ever have is the one back in Mystic Falls with her adoptive family that was practically blood to her.

"I might even be festive and decorate the motel room if you're good," he was awfully cheerful today and Jasmine did not want to ruin that but she couldn't help but feel that there was a catch to his positive behaviour.

She refrained from rolling her eyes or biting back at him so instead, she pursed her lips, looking at the pretty lights that lit up each house on the street, some people going severely over the top but others having rarely any lights up at all. Her family were just in the middle, they were a festive family but they did not take part in the neighbour's competition to have the most extravagant lighting arrangement.