TWENTY SIX

Rat A Tat

I'm about to make your sweat roll backwards
And your heart beat in reverse.

Stefan, Damon and Kai all stood at the foot of Stefan's bed as Jasmine slept soundly with black stained lips. Kai observed the girl, she seemed different from the last time he saw her, the bags underneath her eyes were darker and her skin was paler. She looked like a Jane Doe from the morgue and that worried Kai more than anything. That one day she will be in the morgue and it will be all his fault.

"She's been like this since she fainted after throwing up." Stefan told Damon, refusing to acknowledge Kai's existence. He knew that he wasn't welcome in the Boarding House but he refused to leave Jasmine's side again. "So what do you have planned?" Damon turned on his heel to face in the direction of Kai, who was staring thoughtfully at the girl.

"We've been looking for a vial of Klaus Mikaelson's blood. It cures werewolf venom so why not toxica venom?" Kai offered his idea but Damon didn't seem convinced, Stefan left the room to go get the vials of his blood but was also skeptical of the idea.

"You said that it's not supernatural so why would his blood heal her?"

"I never said it was going to work, we were just ruling out possibilities." Kai sneered back towards the vampire. He despised being his presence as did Damon but Kai tolerated it for Jasmine, it was always for Jasmine. Kai ambled towards Jasmine, kneeling down at the bedside. He reluctantly took her hand into his, the feeling foreign to him. Affection.

"Kai?" She grumbled, her eyes slowly fluttering open to see the heretic's face at her side. A small, sleepy smile broke out across her face at the sight of her kidnapper. Kai smiled with reassurance before letting go of her hand. Jasmine felt alone once he let go and couldn't deny the disappointment at the feeling of him letting go.

Stefan returned with the vial, Jasmine sat up in surprise as she eyed the vial that Stefan handed to Kai reluctantly. "It's the Mikaelson blood, hopefully it will work." Kai plucked the lid off of the vial and held Jasmine's chin in his hands as he titled the blood into her mouth. Jasmine scrunched her face up at the metallic taste of the crimson liquid but swallowed it nonetheless. Once the vial was fully in her system, Kai let go of her chin and all three vampires stared at her waiting for some sort of sign.

"Well? How do you feel?" Damon pressed, Jasmine didn't feel any different. She felt like how she'd felt for the past week. "I feel like-" Jasmine paused for a moment, feeling worse than she had ever felt before. She clasped a hand over her mouth before rushing into the bathroom with Kai right behind her as he held her hair back when she hurled into the toilet. This was just a daily routine for the pair now, him holding her hair as she emptied her guts everywhere.

"I-I feel worse." Jasmine sobbed once she finished emptying the black liquid into the toilet, she turned around and collapsed into Kai's chest. He reluctantly wrapped his arms around her, unsure of how he felt about Jasmine. His emotions were blocked by the curse so whatever he felt was never genuine but through the anger and vengeance, she meant something to him.

"It's sped the process up, we need a cure and we need it now." Damon growled from the doorway to the bathroom. Neither of the pair replied, Jasmine was too busy choking on her sobs and Kai tuned Damon out like white noise.

After Jasmine had calmed down, Damon had called the remains of the Mystic Falls Gang round to the boarding house in search of answers. They were all gathered in the library reading books apart from Jasmine and Kai who were hiding away upstairs.

"I don't want to go downstairs, they all think I'm insane or crazy for defending you." Jasmine admitted after moments of silence. "When standing next to me, you couldn't even be considered insane." He joked but Jasmine didn't laugh nor did she smile, all she could think about was the words Stockholm Syndrome that she had overheard once too many times.

"They think I'm unwell."

"Well, Jazzy. You are unwell." Kai gestured towards her appearance, she was looked worse than a dead person. It was as if someone had dug up a body from Mystic Falls' cemetery and brought them back to life. She was a literal zombie. "Mentally." Kai clasped her small hand, that was coated in a layer of sweat, with his hand and squeezed it lightly.

"I can assure you, Jazzy, that you are perfectly intact up there." Kai used his other hand to gesture towards her head at which she smiled sadly, blowing out air with her nose in the form of light laughter. "Come on." Kai helped her off of the bed, it was struggle for Jasmine to walk nowadays as her muscles slowly started to deteriorate along with her health.

Halting, Jasmine refused to remove from the spot at the bottom of the stairs as the chatter of the Mystic Falls Gang drifted along the hallway like a boat on a lake. Kai gave her a squeeze of reassurance before he continued a hard journey for Jasmine down the hall. Each step was like climbing a mountain, an endless mountain.

All conversation ceased when the two appeared in the room, suspicious glances were shot at Kai as he had his arms securely wrapped around Jasmine's frail body as he assisted her to a sofa in between Damon and Stefan.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" Caroline leaned across the sofa with an outstretched hand before comfortably placing it on the knee of Jasmine who stared down at the hand then back up at the blonde vampire. "As bad as I look." Jasmine dryly replied, Caroline flinched response before brushing off the harsh reply from Jasmine and removing her hand from her knee.

Kai awkwardly stood in the corner of the room, shielded from the view of everybody except Jasmine. She found comfort in her heretic and he found sanity in his human.  "So, what ideas do you have so far?" Kai emerged from the shadows and brought all the attention away from the dying girl to him.

"Nothing that doesn't even have a slight chance of working." Enzo was the only one who could converse with the heretic without feeling an immense amount of hatred. "I think our only shot of saving Jasmine is to find a cure." His British accent flooded the room, Kai furrowed his eyebrows at their only solution.

"We don't have enough to find a cure. We need something and we need it now!" Kai raised his voice, the vein making an appearance on his neck that was always a clear sign of anger to Jasmine. "Don't you think that we know that?" Damon spat towards the heretic who didn't even flinch at Damon's clear irritation.

"Let's all just stay calm and work together to find a solution." Caroline silenced the bickering pair and everyone returned to their books and grimoires. Feeling useless, Jasmine played with her fingers in attempt to focus her attention on something else and Kai focused his attention on her instead of the Gemini Grimoire in front of him.

He admired that despite her looking like a zombie that she still looked sensational, her hair was ratty and greasy and she had dark bags under her eyes that looked swollen. Her lips were chapped and bleeding but he thought it was adorable the way she played with them when she was nervous and bored. Kai resented his slight admiration for Jasmine, other feelings were seeping through the cracks in the curse but it couldn't be broken. It takes something more powerful for the spell to be broken.

Hours had passed and they still found absolutely nothing that could help them save the life of Jasmine Woods. Malachai began to grow irrational and agitated at the sight of the day going by with still no answers.

"I think we should call it a day."

"No!" Kai exploded in rage at Matt who cowered away from his murderous glare. "Kai, calm down. It's okay." Jasmine shot up from her seat despite a wave of dizziness casted over her like a spell. Everyone appeared shocked at the heretic listening to Jasmine when he took a deep breath to calm himself down.

"I have an idea but you're not going to like it." Bonnie announced, scrunching up her face as she debated whether to announce her idea and in fear of the heretic exploding on her.

"Tell us Bon."

I haven't read through this for mistakes but I probably will later, don't forget to vote and comment!!