TWENTY FOUR

You & Me Song

❝You and me, always, and forever.❞

"Stefan? Damon?" Caroline called out as she entered the Salvatore Boarding House with a unconscious Jasmine in her arms, whose health was deteriorating considerably. "A little busy, Blondie!" Damon yelled back but Caroline just rolled her eyes and followed the voice into the library which was trashed with a very dead Malachai Parker in the middle of it.

"I said we were busy-" Damon turned his head to glare at the blonde, pregnant vampire but choked on his words when he saw his distant niece in her arms. "W-What? How?" Damon used his vampire speed to get to her and take her off the vampire. 

"I have no idea. I just found her in the square all over the place." Damon gently placed her limp body down on the sofa, observing the girl for any damage to her. "It can't be a coincidence that the same day Kai Parker turns up so does Jasmine." Bonnie chimed in, running her fingers through her hair.

"Stefan, he could have brought back Elena and you just killed him!" Damon returned to bickering with his brother about staking Malachai in the back but stopped when Jasmine began stirring in her sleep. Slowly, Jasmine fluttered open her eyes before recognising that she wasn't in her bed at home.

Startled, Jasmine shot up to see three pairs of eyes on her but none of them were Kai's blue orbs. "I know you must be frightened and confused. Jasmine, I'm Dam-"

"I know who you are. Where is Kai?" The brunette demanded before she followed their eyes to the staked heretic in the middle of the library. "Jasmine? What're you doing?" Jasmine crouched down next to Kai and pulled the stake out from his back not being able to believe that he was dead.

"Why? Why did you kill him?" She spoke with a sadness, leaving all three vampires in a state of confusion as tears brimmed in her eyes. She couldn't quite believe that her only company for the past three months was no longer alive.

"He was trying to kill us? Jasmine, he's a sociopath. You know that right?" Jasmine scoffed at the mention of Kai being a sociopath, of course she knew what Kai was and what he was capable of. Now that Kai was dead, they had no shot at finding the cure and he would never get to fulfill his revenge scheme.

"Jasmine, I think it would be best if you just-" Damon approached the girl from behind and injected her with a sedative to knock her out for a few hours, the brunette fell limp in his arms, inspiring Stefan to come collect his distant niece from Damon's hold. "I'll put her in one of the rooms so we can sort this out." He glanced towards the dead heretic on the ground.

"I can't believe she was upset about his death, it was like she cared that he was dead." Damon shook his head grimacing at the idea of the girl caring for Malachai Parker. "Maybe he compelled her or maybe he's brainwashed her-"

"It's called Stockholm Syndrome, you've been around on this Earth for 178 years and you haven't heard of it?" Bonnie quirked an eyebrow as she announced the unknown idea of Stockholm Syndrome. Caroline nodded in agreement with Bonnie but Damon just remained confused.

"When a victim has positive feelings towards their kidnapper, sometimes even affection." Bonnie contributed to her original point, curing Damon of his confusion and Stefan's when he appeared in the room without Jasmine.

"Jasmine's stronger than that, she would never grow feelings for a weasel like that!" Damon exasperatedly pointed towards the dead heretic. They four pairs of eyes looked at the heretic with confusion, trying to piece together Jasmine and Malachai's story for the past three months. 

Unexpectedly, a gasp of air echoed around the room as Kai sat up abruptly, clawing at his throat as all the oxygen returns to his lungs and his heart began to beat again. 

"What in the world?" Damon narrowed his eyes at the not so dead sociopath. "No matter how many times I die, it just doesn't get anymore fun." Kai acknowledged more to himself rather than anyone. He shook his head trying to get used to feeling of being alive again after being dead for nearly an hour.

"How are you alive right now? Stefan just staked you." Caroline demanded to know but all Kai could look at was the huge stomach that Caroline was sporting, sensing the gemini magic from here. Stefan grunted, registering right away what Kai had noticed.

"That's not for you to know Christine." Kai smirked before freezing, noticing a heart beat rhythm that he'd never be able to forget. Jasmine was here. He eyed the stairs, seeing how he could ease a quick escape but it was impossible. "Don't even think about it." Damon grabbed a firm grip on the heretic before he could even get near his niece again.

"You're never going to see her again." 

"No you have to listen to me, she needs me! She needs my help!" Kai struggled in both Stefan and Damon's grip but before they could find out anymore his neck was snapped in two and he was dead for the second time today. "What are we going to do? We can't hide her here, he can just walk right through the door." Bonnie inputted as Damon threw Kai's body over his shoulder.

"I don't know, Bon." Damon pursed his lips, throwing Kai into the chair where his neck was lying in a funny way. Caroline had appeared again with chains in her hands, Stefan taking them off her to wrap around Kai while they tried to figure out what to do with him. "He's too dangerous, we can't let a repeat of Josette happen. Think about Alaric's babies!" Bonnie argued when everyone glanced at each other for some sort of a solution.

"You saw what happened, he can't die. He's stuck here until we figure out where we can put him." Damon grimaced at his plan but it was all they could come up with for now. Jasmine was his priority, she will be his priority until he can get her home to her family again. Nothing was ever supposed to happen to Jasmine, nobody knew that she was their niece just like nobody knew about Sarah Salvatore.

"What do you think has happened to them for the past three months?"

"I don't know if I want to know, I don't even want to think about the kind of torture he might have put her through."