THIRTY NINE

Sign Of The Times

❝They told me that the end is near,
 We gotta get away from here .❞

Malachai hated how he agreed to allowing Jasmine to be the one to stake Esmeralda. She was currently with Damon training basic self defence as Alaric refused to come in a miles radius of Kai Parker. 

"We've been over this a thousand times, hold the stake like this. It's going to be on fire and you're going to burn yourself if you hold it from there." Damon scolded whilst adjusting Jasmine's grip on the stake that hadn't even been lit yet.

"I'm sorry Damon if I've never staked an infernum bitch before." Jasmine retorted with one hand on her hip and the other twirling the stake around in her hand. Kai immediately thought back to the time where he was chained to a chair in the caves with Esmeralda and she told him her sob story.

"We have to lure her from wherever she's hiding from and I know just the person that can get her to come out from the shadows." Kai interrupted their bickering from where he was sat on a rock in the woods.

"She's heartbroken over the betrayal of Damon and how he sided with his brother. He can confront her and whilst they are fighting, Jasmine can stake her in the back." Damon seemed to be reluctant facing his past flame once again, nervous of how she was going to react.

"She'll know something's up if I summon her-"

"Will she? She's so hung up on you Damon that if you call, she'll appear. It's our best shot." Jasmine interrupted, running a hand through her sweaty ebony hair. Damon grimaced for a second before nodding slowly.

"Do we really want to summon her? Have you seen the immense crevices that are scattered right through Mystic Falls?" Damon remained adamant on not summoning the infernum witch anywhere near Mystic Falls. It was too much of a risk, a risk for Jasmine and a risk for Elena. Damon believed that Esmeralda could retaliate and hurt the vampire in any way possible, leaving Elena and Jasmine to be huge targets.

"How else do you propose we stake the witch bitch?" Jasmine placed a hand on her hip and irritatedly glared at Damon. Kai laughed obnoxiously at the nickname that Jasmine had given the infernum witch, smiling at the sass that dripped from Jasmine's voice.

"Let's think rationally. This witch has always been seven steps ahead of us, what has changed? Why are we not planning eight steps ahead of her? The plan will fail and she'll retaliate and somebody is going to end up dead so I'm saying no."

"You mean that somebody is Elena? Let's face it Damon, you only really care about her." Jasmine finally snapped at the raven haired vampire before storming out of the clearing in the woods and in the direction of the boarding house. Malachai watched the girl stamp off and then turned back to face Damon with a smirk and quirked eyebrow.

"Should I follow her?"

"No but there are some truth to her words. Until you can learn to put the family that is right in front of you above the girl who's safe in her coffin, she's going to remain reluctant to build that family bond that you want with her." Kai scolded the vampire, feeling superior that for once he was the one above Damon.

"Elena wouldn't be in that coffin if it wasn't for you, once this is all over, you're going to break that spell and give Elena Gilbert back to me-"

"I can't break the spell, Damon. Even if I wanted to." Kai cut the vampire off before turning around in the direction where Jasmine marched off in.

   ⊠ ⊠ ⊠

"I've arranged to meet Esmeralda tomorrow at Mystic Falls Cemetery." Damon interrupted Jasmine and Kai's nap on the sofa in the library at the Salvatore Boarding House. Both of their heads suddenly shot up at the sudden loud volume of Damon's voice.

"What?" Jasmine's groggy voice asked with squinted eyes as began to awaken from her power nap. "We're killing the witch bitch, tomorrow." Damon flashed one of his signature smirks. He thought about Malachai's words and agreed that if he wanted to form a relationship with his distant relative then he would have to put her above his girlfriend, who was safe in a coffin.

"How did you reach out to her? Are you okay?" Jasmine was now sitting up properly with panic building up in her chest. Now that it was a reality that they were finally going to destroy the infernum witch that had been terrorising them and threatening them, Jasmine felt unnerved and panicked.

"It doesn't matter how, I just did and we need to get you ready for tomorrow so get your shoes on." Damon left the pair without another word uttered. Jasmine then turned to face the sleepy Kai Parker who was just as confused as she was.

"What if we're not ready? What if I can't do it? I-I've never killed anybody before Kai." Jasmine stammered, her eyes glossing over and her bottom lip trembling. "Jazzy Woods, you are the strongest, most amazing woman that I have ever met and I do not have any doubt that you are not capable of staking that bitch in the back."

"But I don't want to be a murderer." Kai visibly flinched at the emphasis on murderer. He would never expect Jasmine to be okay with murder but it still hurt him that she probably resented him for all those murders he'd committed in his past. "I can do it, if you want me to. I'll stake her." Kai clutched onto Jasmine's shaking hands and steadied them whilst staring intensely into her vibrant blue eyes.

"You'd do that? For me?" Staring in disbelief, Jasmine smiled sadly before wrapping her arms around the heretic. "You mean the world to me, Kai." She whispered quietly, Kai didn't dare interrupt her.

"I don't care about your past, I only care about your future." She mumbled inaudibly into the heretics signature black denim jacket, to most you would have not been able to tell what she was saying but Kai could, he heard her crystal clear and he was hanging onto those words for as long as he could.

Jasmine released herself from the embrace and dusted herself down. Wiping her stray tears, she smiled and held out her delicate hand for Kai to clasp.

 "We have a witch bitch to stake." 

I can't think of an authors note to post today, nothing interesting is going in my life right now except that I'm applying for jobs and also I started writing a bonus chapter for when Pure gets to 100K if anybody would actually be interested in reading that? I'll probably post it anyway and I think I've already mentioned this in an old author's note so I'll stop banging on about it now.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment!

(Also you guys you should read and vote on my new Stefan fic, thanks lol)