TWENTY

Song 2

I got my head checked,
By a jumbo jet.

Jasmine was all tucked up into bed when Kai stormed into her room at the crack of dawn in a blind panic. He had been up all night googling this poison called toxica and hadn't found a single cure to it.

"What about your blood?" Jasmine wiped her mouth with the back of her hand to wipe away any of the excess ebony toxins that were coming out of her body every other five minutes. She tried to be positive and calm about it but she couldn't, she couldn't be calm about it. Who could ever be calm about death?

"It's too easy - Christian wouldn't make it that easy!" Jasmine rolled her eyes at his outburst, he was stressed.

"You haven't tried Kai, we can rule it off then and-"

"Jasmine! There are no cures for it!" Jasmine stared at the boy with only sadness in her eyes, Kai hesitated before biting into his wrist - helping Jasmine drink mouthfuls of his blood in hope that it would cure her. 

Jasmine shoved his hand away from her mouth immediately after a few droplets were in her system. She leant over the side of the bed throwing the blood and the black substance into the grey bucket that Kai had given her.

"Maybe it's not a supernatural problem but a problem that a hospital could solve," Jasmine offered another one of her ideas but Kai just shook his head in dismissal. "You would get recognised and I'd have to compel too many people - it's too risky." He shook his head but it was the only idea that they had.

"Maybe Christian was bluffing, maybe his revenge is to cause mental anguish for months like you planned. It would make sense right?" Jasmine's optimism was only infuriating Malachai even more, she was doomed to her death and despite Kai being ordered to kill the girl - it still bothered him a lot.

"No, Jazzy. Christian wasn't bluffing and if we don't find a cure you're probably going to be dead by the end of next month."

"Wasn't that your plan anyway? You could take the blame for this and this could be the anguish for Damon and Stefan that you wanted - it could be the grand finale of your master plan!" Jasmine bitterly said at which Kai exaggeratedly rolled his eyes at.

"Believe it or not, you're actually my friend and I don't want you to die an excruciating long death."

Jasmine couldn't deny the warmth she felt in her chest at his words, never quite believing that Kai could ever consider her a friend or actually care enough about whether she lived or died. "Don't get all soft on me now, Parker." Jasmine joked, Kai laughing along with her.

"Wasn't counting on it, Woods. Or should I call you Salvatore now?" Kai smirked, raising the one eyebrow as he asked the girl. Jasmine pondered whether she should be named Jasmine Salvatore or Jasmine Woods. She was born a Salvatore but raised as Woods, she had Salvatore blood but she was brought up with the morals of a Woods.

"I-I don't know? The last name Salvatore seems to come with a lot of consequences and I don't know whether I'm willing to take them." Jasmine played with her fingers not wanting to meet Kai's burning gaze, he knew that being a Salvatore was a burden as he had witnessed that family himself but Jasmine suited it, she suited being a Salvatore.

"Do you ever think about your real parents? Your real family?" Kai asked hesitantly, afraid he was push the wrong button or stand on an eggshell. 

"Mom, Dad and Max are my real family. I try not to think about my biological parents and brother as I'm happy with the family that raised me and the family that I love." Jasmine widened her eyes before leaning over the side of the bed to throw up the black liquid into the bucket that was half full. Kai rushed to her side to pull her hair back, he could feel a sliver of guilt for what was happening to her.