TWELVE

X & Y

I want to love you but I don't know if I can
I know something is broken and I'm trying to fix it.

Jasmine woke up to being unchained from the bed and a pile of books that included Esmeralda in them on top of her. She stretched her arms out, yawning as she did so, her eyes glancing around the room to see any sign of Kai.

"Kai?" She called out while pushing the books off of her but nobody replied, she was unchained and Kai was not around. She could make a break for it, the door would easily give in and she would be free in a matter of minutes.

She shook the thought away, knowing that as soon as she escaped Kai would find her in an instant and she would be back to square one and he already didn't trust her so she shouldn't give him more of a reason not to. Jasmine pushed herself off the bed, wincing when it creaked from the shift in weight.

"Kai? Are you here?" Her voice slicing the silence like a blade but again there was no reply, leaving the girl very anxious. Each individual hair began to stand on end while she tip-toed around the motel room for any sign of Kai but there wasn't a soul to be seen or heard. Jasmine reluctantly crept over to the door, placing her small hand on the cold door knob waiting to pull it and open the door but a nagging voice in the back of her mind begged her not to.

Sighing, the brunette backed away from the door, looking like a deer caught in headlights when it swung open to see Kai stood there with a handful of groceries. She held her hands up in defence, stammering for an excuse. She looked guilty as charged, standing there in front of the door with an outstretched hand as if she was about to act out The Great Escape.

"Jazzy, you passed my test!" Kai beamed at her, dropping the groceries on the countertop with a huge smug smile on his face that Jasmine desperately wanted to smack off.

"Your test? What test?" She demanded, crossing her arms in a pissed off manner and placing all her weight on her left foot waiting for an answer she knew from the beginning she didn't want to hear.

"What did you think that those handcuffs magically disappeared in the night and I happened to leave you unattended all morning while you were free to roam around?" Sarcastically, he chuckled to himself at the oblivious girl glaring at him.

"So you trust me now?" She wondered aloud, a slight sense of joy and relief at the idea of Kai trusting her. "No, of course not. I don't trust anybody anymore, Jasmine." He laughed it off but there was a slight sadness to his tone of voice, something which rarely happens.

"I think- I think I trust you." She abruptly spoke her thoughts before clamping a hand over her mouth, embarrassed and shocked at what she just said aloud.

"That's cute, Jazzy." Kai patted her shoulder in a mocking way before making the two of them a chicken and lettuce sandwich with the groceries he had just acquired.

"What? Nothing back, like not 'I think I trust you too' or anything?" She exasperated, she had just said the craziest thing to her kidnapper and the idea of a kidnapped trusting her kidnapper is bizarre and bewildering.

"Did you not just listen to a word I just said? I don't and can't trust anybody anymore." Kai shrugged as if it was nothing but Jasmine was astonished that a boy couldn't find a single cell in him to place his trust in somebody.

"Not even Bonnie?"

Kai rolled his eyes at the mention of Bennett witch, he knew that Jasmine only frequently brought her up to trigger some sort of emotion inside of him and hoped to break the curse. Jasmine truly believed that Bonnie would break the curse and allow her to be free of his tyranny but how she was so wrong. Bonnie could break the curse but so could anyone but Kai would never tell Jasmine that.

Jasmine could ruin everything for him and especially Esmeralda, that witch would have her heart in her hand if she even got a step too close to breaking the curse.

"Not even Bonnie Bennett," Kai chuckled, the name tasting like a foul taste in his mouth, Bonnie Bennett had truly scarred his almost dead heart. Kai could be compassionate and show affection if he was allowed to, he knew that he could but he chose not to. Love only ever gets you hurt.

He had never experienced love in his life, his parents neglected him and never showed him any love that he can remember. His family turned their backs on him and when he began to grow slight feelings for the Bennett witch, she stabs him in the gut and leaves him for dead. Love has only ever got Malachai Parker hurt.

"Do you think she ever thinks about you? How Damon just decapitated you without a second thought?" Jasmine plonked herself down on the bed, wincing as she landed on some book corners but ignoring it as she crossed her legs with a raised brow.

"Damon Salvatore has killed lots of people, I doubt I've ever appeared in his mind more than once. That's why it'll be all the more fascinating when he finds out that I'm the one who took you, hostage." Kai held a smug smile that pissed off Jasmine, she hated his smug smile and his stupid smirk.

"He's killed people?"

"Duh? He's a vampire, Jazzy. I'm sure he's killed thousands of people whether they were guilty or not." Jasmine frowned at his words, she didn't like the idea that her saviours and relatives were meant to be murderers.

"Even Stefan?" She was disappointed that her last living relatives were evil, sadistic monsters. "Stefan? Don't get me started on Stefan, Jazzy." The heretic laughed loudly at her question but she didn't smile or crack a giggle, she just glared at him in attempt to make him continue.

"Ever heard of the Ripper of Monterrey? Stefan Salvatore brutally murdered thousands of people and tore them to shreds. Still, think I'm a psychopath?" Jasmine wiped a stray tear that unintentionally trickled down her left cheek. "Look, Jazzy. They're vampires, it's what they do, it's in their nature!"

"Doesn't make it right though," Jasmine muttered under her breath despite the heretic having vampire hearing, he was able to hear every muttered word and every insult under her breath. Nevertheless, it never stopped her from saying every jab towards him.

"The day you stop being so moral is the day you finally lighten up and become a likeable person." He smirked, slamming a chicken and lettuce sandwich into her lap, lettuce spewing around everywhere.

Growling, the brunette plucked the pieces of lettuce from her lap and placed it back into the sandwich neatly.

"The day you become a moral person is a day that you're finally a decent and likeable person." She retorted, taking a small bite from the sandwich. She had improved from the days where she checked every single bit of food she put in her mouth for poison.

"Oh, Jazzy, you flatter me." He fanned his face with his hand to tease the girl but she didn't find any of it amusing.

Jasmine would never be able to morph the heretic into a decent person but she would try to.

I never know what to write in the author's note things at the end so it's always really awkward trying to fill the gap at the end lol.

Don't forget to vote and comment!