FORTY ONE

Silk

 ❝My Love it kills me slowly,
Slowly I could die.❞  

"Damon, you definitely know the signal right?" Jasmine questioned the vampire for the hundredth time that day, knowing he was getting irritated but wanted to be safe just as well. "Yes, dammit Jasmine, stop mothering me." Damon growled irritatedly at the girl who was dusting off the dirt from his leather jacket.

"Let's go over the signal again, just one last time." She smiled sheepishly at her 'uncle' and gestured for the raven haired vampire to go over the signal he was to use for when Kai jumped in with the burning stake. Damon's menacing blue eyes glared at the girl to check whether she was being serious or not and when she nodded with pleading eyes, he exhaled dramatically.

"When the time is right, I will scratch the back off my neck to signal for you to come in with the stake." Damon deadpanned, resulting in Jasmine playfully smacking his arm in slight irritation. Interrupting their conversation, Kai jogged down the stairs with a towel in his hand, still drying his hair. Damon had reluctantly allowed him to shower here as vervain had invaded the water supply at the old house that Kai was fixing up to make his own.

"Thank you, Damon." She smiled sweetly at the man which just irritated him even more, instead of winding up the vampire even more she turned her attention to the boy who stood with dripping wet hair and a sloppy grin on his face.

"Dames, Jazzy I think we better be leaving soon, shouldn't we?" Kai cheekily smirked before throwing the towel behind him carelessly, trying to ignore the way Damon's jaw clenched at the sight of him.

"Don't call me that again and go pick that towel up before I strangle you with it." Damon bluntly responded before disappearing into the library probably looking for a bourbon after that encounter with the person he hates the most.

"You don't have to wind him up like that Kai, you're already on thin ice because of, you know, Elena." Jasmine whispered the name as quietly as she could; it was almost guaranteed that Damon was listening in on their conversation, that's all either Salvatore brother did, listen in on their conversations.

Neither brother couldn't deny that they were curious about the relationship between their distant niece and the heretic that had practically ruined all of their lives. If they could, they would compel Jasmine to forget all about Kai Parker and kill Kai the second he wasn't looking but that was wrong. Jasmine loved Kai and that was never going to change.

Kai admired the way she whispered the word Elena, she was so precious to Kai, he was worried that he would destroy her. He admired how she whispered it so Damon wouldn't be able to hear and remind him that Kai was the only reason why the love of his life isn't here. Kai thought about how he would feel if somebody took Jasmine away from him and then he realised what Damon must be going through but he also remembered how Damon killed him in cold blood after his best friend left him in another prison world after knowing how painful it is to be in one.

"It's hard not to, he's so easily wound." Kai chuckled nervously under the gaze of Jasmine, not really knowing how to react. Jasmine looked at Kai like nobody had ever looked at him before, like she wasn't looking at his sociopathic core or the evil glint that shimmered in his eyes but she was looking at all the good in him (which recently has increased) and everything that made him special to her.

"Pick up the towel and go put on a jacket, it is slightly breezy out today." Jasmine mothered the heretic, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear as she did so. Kai's breathing laboured as he began noticing little things that she did that triggered something inside of him, some things as simple as tucking stray strands behind her left ear or the way she played with her fingers when she was nervous or uncomfortable. Or the way that bit her lip when she was deep in thought, unknowing that it made Kai all the more uncomfortable and all warm inside.