EPILOGUE: Loki

Loki curled up on his bed, closing his emerald eyes as he sat in the silence, darkness encasing him. He sat there, knowing that their time of peace was over for the time being, and they were going to have to go back to how things were before. Pain. Madness. Insanity. All of the things that the God of Mischief had once loved but had grown to hate were coming back, and there was nothing that he could do to stop it until the Mad Thinker was dead. So he knew that he was going to have to savor those last moments of peace.

The Frost Giant opened his emerald eyes and stared into the pitch darkness. He’d closed himself up in the dark, something that he wanted for once. He just wanted the darkness, the peace that came with the lack of light. He wanted to be where the light could not touch him, where nothing could find him. He wanted to be alone, where nobody would find him and try to break him again.

Loki’s eight months of peace had been gladly accepted, but they weren’t all peaceful. At night, his mind was plagued by terrible nightmares of his past and of Thanos, when the man he was in debt to wanted a word. He was afraid to sleep, but a small part of the God’s brain was taken by Thanos, and he made him need sleep. Also, Amora liked to sleep, even when she didn’t need it, but he knew that it was just an excuse for the two to be near each other. And Loki didn’t want Amora to know.

Loki and Amora had been courting since their first real kiss back at Stark’s wedding. The two had been far from perfect, the two of them constantly bickering and picking at each other, but they were mischief’s finest. Loki was happy with her though, and he loved her more than he’d ever loved anybody. The long walks through town, the picnics at the edge of the woods, falling asleep under the starts together… That was all Loki could’ve wished for.

Amora had been more supportive than he could’ve ever imagined. She’d allowed him to grieve over his father and son though she tried to keep him happy. She kept him from sinking into depression, kept him motivated. She’d offered him children, asked him if he wanted to get married and she would gladly bear his children despite the fact that she had always been against it. She’d never wanted children, but she said that she would have them if that would help. She asked him if he wanted to mother another horse, but he had declined both offers. He didn’t want her to suffer through anything because of him, and he knew that nothing could ever replace Sleipnir.

For a long time, Loki had been considering proposing to his beloved Amora. He really did love her and he knew that he always would. He loved her. He’d always loved her. He wanted to marry her and hold onto her forever. He was thinking about it, but he wasn’t totally sure. He knew that, with Thanos still on his tail, that it would make things even more dangerous for her. That’s why he’d refused to get so close to her, love her like she deserved to be loved. He was afraid that if he did, Thanos would kill her.

Loki forced all thoughts away from his mind, trying to keep himself from panicking. He felt the desperate need to hold onto the peace that he knew would be seldom from that point on. He knew that, after that day, the Avengers’ days would be filled with constant research, constant looking over their shoulders, constant worry, constant pain, constant insanity, and constant madness. Chaos would fill their minds once again. Their peace would be gone after this day, so the God of Mischief wanted to savor it.

“Hello, Loki.” A quiet, familiar voice whispered.

Loki whipped around and saw Amora sitting on the desk in the corner. She must have zapped in unnoticed. He sighed, letting his guard down, knowing that Amora wasn’t going to hurt him. He reached up and snapped his fingers, flicking the lights on with magic. He smiled at Amora weakly, watching as she walked across the floor and sat down on the bed beside him.

“Hello, Amora.” Loki replied.

“How are you?” Amora asked.

“How do you think?”