Three. Scarlett

Song for this chapter: It ain't me- Selena Gomez and Kygo

The day drags on as I put the miles behind me. When NYC comes into view I am spilt between feeling home and feeling way out of my element.
I don't feel ready to see Cooper quite  yet so I head to a coffee shop and try to get a grip.
I'm sipping some tea when the door opens and the electricity in the air shifts. I know he is here without looking up from my spot.
I focus on breathing in and out. I have to roll my eyes because I hate how he has some sort of hold over me. I dare to look up and concern fills his gray eyes. I try to stifle a smile, but I fall short.
"I was in the neighborhood." I shrug as he nods to the seat next to me, silently asking to sit. I nod yes.
"What happened?" He says. He goes to put his hands on mine but stops and puts them on the table.
"I doubt you want to hear anything about Luke." I say as I try to push back some tears.
"Scar, you can tell me anything. I told you I changed and I mean it. I'm here for you. Whatever you need." He smiles sadly at me and I feel exhausted in that moment I grab his hands.
"Can we go home?" I barely whisper.
"Yes. Of course."
We walk out of the café and I see his car.
"I can drive."
"No, let Brady drive your car. You're in no state to drive in this traffic."
I nod because I know he is right. He helps me into the back of his car and hands the keys to Brady. I can't even look at him because I realize how weak I look.
Cooper gets in next to me and buckles as his driver moves into traffic. He keeps his distance, only putting an arm around me and rubbing my shoulder. The last week has taken its toll on me and in a moment of weakness I climb on his lap, bury my face in his shoulder and sob. He wraps his arms around me and kisses my head. It's not romantic at all as I ugly girl cry in his arms. It's familiar and for the first time in weeks, I feel the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.
When we get home. Cooper carries me to the elevator. I don't even protest. I feel his muscles under his suit move. They are a lot bigger now then they used to be. Cooper was always fit but I'm guessing the hours at the gym have made him a beast. I should feel scared, but I'm so numb I don't feel anything.

"Brady will bring your stuff in." He says as he sets me on the bed. Our bed.
"Coop, I-" I mumble as I look around our room.
"I figured you would protest. I'll sleep in the spare."
"No. I couldn't do that to you. You sleep here." I say trying to stand. My leg is stiff from the long drive and I stumble as I put weight on it.
"Hey. Stop." He says setting me back on the bed effortlessly.
"I'm intruding."
"You are not." He says and sits next to me. "Are you going to tell me what happened?"
I sigh and lay back on the bed. The next hour I spend explaining the last month. Cooper listens intently but doesn't say much until I'm done.
"It'll work out, Scar. If he has a brain at all he won't be with her."
"I can't do that to their family."
"What if the baby isn't his?"
"He has his nose." I say defeated.
"For Gods sake. It's an ultrasound. The baby has a nose. Those things aren't going to determine if the baby is really his. That's why they have paternity tests. You're beating yourself up over a baby that might not be his."
"I don't know what to do." I shrug.
"Dammit." He says sitting me up and kneeling in front of me. "You're Scarlett Olivia fucking Shay! Start acting like it." He smiles and brushes a strand of my hair behind my ear. His finger brushes my neck and feels like it shocks me. My eyes flick to his. He must have felt it, too as his eyes briefly fill with lust. He clears his throat and slides off the bed. Just then Brady brings my things in.
"Sorry I'm late. I ugh-" he laughs, "I went and got you some of the snacks you used to like. You're looking a little thin, Scar." He smiles and sets my stuff on the bed.
"Thanks Brady." I smile at him. I grab my phone from my bag and my smile instantly vanishes. Some pictures from Stacey of Luke and Mandy on the balcony. Our balcony. His.
I hastily tell her to fuck off and throw my phone at Cooper.
"Scarlett. They are just hugging." He says handing it back.
"They both deserve to see if there's any chemistry left. Judging by these pictures, I'm thinking there is." I say and shrug.
"Sometimes that chemistry never goes away." He says pointedly at me.
"I-" I can't formulate a thought. I just nod.
"I'll let you get some sleep." He says as he comes around the bed. He kisses my forehead and heads towards the door.
"Thank you, Coop. I appreciate your kindness." I say and weakly smile at him.
"Anything for you." He says before closing the door behind him.
I wait for Luke to call, because I know he will and I know what I have to do.