Sixteen. Scarlett

I'm avoiding Cooper. I know I shouldn't be, but deciding to stay with Luke is going to break his heart and I'm not ready to do it. Again.
I get ready for the day and head to the hospital to spend lunch with Luke. I feel giddy knowing this will soon be the norm.
When I walk through the sliding doors, and his eyes meet mine, I blush. I can't believe I still feel this affected by him and that he still looks at me like I'm too good to be true.
Lunch is nice. I love bantering back and forth with him about silly things. While he walks me to my car, he holds my hand, and I can't help but feel at home.

His eyes burn into mine, and if we weren't in the middle of a busy parking lot, I would be tempted to pull him into the backseat with me; that is until something catches my attention and I look over to see Stacey stomping towards us.
Great.
"I heard you were back, Scar." She scoffs. I look at Luke who has lost all color in his face. I ignore Stacey and turn my back on her so I'm facing Luke.
"Babe? Are you okay?" I put my hand on his head.
"Yeah, Luke. Are you okay?" Stacey laughs.
"Go away Stacey. We have nothing to talk to you about." I say.
"I wish that were true." She looks at Luke. "Ya know, Scar, we have a lot more in common than you would think."
"Stacey don't." Luke says and I look at him briefly before looking back to her.
"See Scar," I hate how she emphasizes Scar. "You and I are both pretty, we are good liars, we both tend to get what we want, and oh!" She laughs, "we've both fucked Luke." She laughs as I feel the color drain from my face. My eyes flick to Luke's and guilt fills those green eyes I love so much.
"I'm sure he didn't tell you about the threesome, but I just figured you would want to know. I have a video if you want to see."
I want to puke, I want to cry, but I don't want her to see how broken I feel. So I do something she wasn't expecting; I laugh.
"Oh Stacey, I already know. Another punchline we will use down the way I suppose. You and Mandy can have fun playing with each other, though." I lean up and kiss Luke's lips. He instantly relaxes.
"Wow, so it doesn't bother you at all?" She asks suspiciously. Sadly, in that moment I want Luke to hurt just like I do.
"Not really. I've fucked Cooper more times than I could count in the last week alone, and Luke doesn't care. Right, baby?" I emphasize 'baby' as I glare at him. Luckily Stacey can't see me. His jaw twitches and I know I struck a nerve.
"You two are really fucked up." She says before stomping off.

We stand there. Not looking at one another until Luke finally speaks.
"I was drunk. I don't remember anything. Only what they told me."
"I could handle you sleeping with Mandy. You have a past together, but Stacey? Really, Luke? "
"Scarlett, I didn't know she was even there. I didn't know they were friends. I swear." He moves to touch me and I pull back.
"You should have told me!" I yell. "That's why you knew I would leave! You should have told me!"
"I didn't know how." He says sadly.
I push past him and open my car door.
"Don't go." He begs as he grabs my arm.
"You have to work." I pull my arm back.
"Please don't flee. Talk to me about this."
I nod.
"I'm not letting you go again." He says kissing me quickly and walking off before I can say anything.

I drive away and let the tears fall freely down my face.
I don't know how I got here, I mean I obviously drove, but I don't remember the trip. I put my headphones in and run down to my bench at the river. Silently thanking myself for wearing Nike's.
I lean over the edge of the old wood to catch my breath. I look around and see nobody so I just yell. I kick the bench and yell. I clench my fists and punch the wood. Pain swims up my hand, but I almost want to laugh. I feel too numb to be distracted by physical pain. I don't even care about the blood dripping down my hand.
I finally sit on the bench and stare at the water. My good hand picks at the peeling blue paint while I try not to think of anything other than the music coming through my headphones.

Time comes and goes as I still stare blankly at the water while the sun warms my back. A tiny rock hits my shoe as the air around me shifts. I don't even have to look to my right to know Luke is here.