Twelve. Scarlett

The last couple weeks have been confusing to say the least. The day Cooper was supposed to spend with me, he got sucked into working instead. I was feeling pretty blue until I talked to Luke.
I allowed myself to miss him and now I feel terrible. Not only to Cooper but to Luke. Is it possible to love two people at the same time?
I hate myself.
Then Luke texts me so angry and then ignores me. Now he's sobbing on the phone and I can barely breathe. I know he used to feel like he should have died with his friends, and I'm so worried that he could possibly take his own life.
I finish throwing a bag together and head for the car.
"Thanks for letting me use your plane." I hug Cooper. "There's just so much to do." I lie.
"Should I be worried? About Luke?" He says quietly.
"I'm going to see him, but that's over."
"I just know we haven't drawn any lines."
"Are you seeing someone?" I ask bluntly.
"No." He shakes his head.
"Okay."
"Just keep in touch with me. It's hard letting you go. I don't mean to sound morose, but I've already lost you once." He pulls me close.
"I'll see you in a couple days, right?"
"Of course."
"I love you." I say before kissing his lips.
"I love you."

We say our goodbyes at the airport and I head to Great Falls. Luckily the flight isn't too long.
I pick up my rental and drive the familiar roads to my old apartment.
I take some deep breaths before knocking on the door I once called home.
I expect Mandy to answer, but when the door opens and green eyes blaze into mine, my heart sinks. His eyes are bloodshot and I long to touch him.
"I was in the neighborhood." I shrug.
He grabs me so quick, I swear It gives me whiplash, but I pull him tighter as he begins to sob on my shoulder.
"It's okay, Luke." I say trying to soothe him. He picks me up quickly and carries me into the apartment.
Luckily he brings us into the spare bedroom, because I'm not sure I would be able to breath in the bed we used to share that he now shares with Mandy.
He never lets me go. He lays on the bed and pulls me with him. He continues to quietly cry while holding me tight to him. I softly rub his back as I kiss the top of his head. The light slowly dims through the window as nighttime comes.
The quiet of the room is suffocating.
"Do I smell that bad?" I try to lighten the mood.
"Are you a dream?" He asks pulling back searching my face.
"No babe. It's really me." I smile sadly. "Do you want to talk about it?"
"Not yet." He shakes his head.
"You're dehydrated. Let's get you up and get you some water. Okay?"
"Okay." He agrees.
We walk to the kitchen together, and I struggle to keep Luke upright.
"Can I get you something to eat?" I ask as I help him in the kitchen chair. He nods.
I make him a grilled cheese and tomato soup and set it in front of him.
"Thanks Scarlett." He says as fresh tears spring to his eyes.
"Lucas, you can talk to me. I'm so worried about you." I feel tears well up in my eyes. He pulls me on his lap and hugs me while I cry into his shoulder. Finally I get a grip.
"You need to eat." I say pulling away and wiping my eyes.
"Thanks for coming." He says quietly while he eats. I refill his water glass for him twice. I'm glad he is getting stuff down, he looked so weak earlier.
"I'm surprised you could carry me. You looked so weak." I smile sadly.
"You weigh like ten pounds. Anyone could lift you." He smiles weakly.
"Excuse me. I'll have you know I have gained almost ten pounds. I have no idea if I can squeeze my fat ass into my bridesmaids dress."
"Fat ass." He smiles bigger. "You do have a pretty nice ass."
"Shut up and eat." I say pointing to his food.
"Yes ma'am." He smiles and butterflies fill my stomach. I sit close to him until he finishes. I hurry and load the dishwasher.
"We used to do this together." He frowns.
"I like taking care of you." I shrug. "How are you feeling?"
"Better now that you're here." He grabs my hand.
"I should probably go before Mandy gets back."
"She's gone for the night."
"Oh." I breathe suddenly feeling overwhelmed. "Can we go see Kare and Brett? I miss them."
"Yeah. Mind if I shower first?"
"No problem. I can call and find a hotel. I came straight here so-" he cuts me off by pulling me close.
"No hotel. Please stay here. I'll be on my best behavior. I promise." His eyes look desperate and I know I shouldn't but I can't say no.
"Okay. If you're sure..."
"Yes. Don't make me beg."
"Okay." I say as I feel the air shift in the room. "Go shower."
"Okay." He hesitates briefly and kisses my forehead.