Eleven. Luke

Hearing Scarlett's voice was overwhelming. I have no idea how to just be friends, but I know I have to have her in my life. It is nice knowing I affect her still. The way her voice caught when she was asking about how Mandy was. What I would give to just be able to touch her. Not even fuck her, just hold her close. I would give anything.

As Mandy sleeps next to me, I can't get Scarlett off my mind. I picture her up in her tower, high above the streets. Maybe walking around with her hair in a bun; reading a worn book she loves while wearing my t-shirt. Suddenly dread courses though me as I know it wouldn't be my shirt she would be wearing: It would be Cooper's. I quietly get up out of bed, careful not to disturb Mandy, and I head out to the living room.
I briefly imagine Scarlett sleeping peacefully on the couch. Fuck I miss her.
I take out my phone and scroll slowly over all the pictures of her that I have saved. I stop on one of us where we are kissing. It seems just like yesterday. I long to kiss her lips again. To hold her hand as we drive together. To tuck a stubborn strand of hair behind her ear. To see her cheeks flush. I miss her; every part of her.
I end up drifting off to sleep clinging to the picture on my phone.

A vibration startles me awake and it takes me a moment to realize I'm on the couch. I look around and realize I'm alone. I hear Mandy lightly snoring in the bedroom. I stand to stretch and my phone falls to the floor. A new Snapchat from Scarlett catches my eye and I can't open it fast enough. It just came through so it must have woke me.
Best wake up ever. I open the snap and smile. She's pouting and the caption says "am I crazy for missing work?"
I snap a picture of myself pouting back that says, "work isn't the same without you."
I feel it's pretty safe. Better than the alternative of I miss you so fucking bad, please come back.
She snaps me back of her making a kissy face saying, "I miss you all so much".
I send one back of me smiling that says, "come back then."
She texts me back instead.

It's not that easy.

I frown. It could be.

Luke. :(

I'm not telling you to come be with me. Just come home.

I'm not sure where home is anymore.

It's with me and we both know it.
I should regret saying that as "friends" but I'm so caught up in wanting to see her, I needed to say it.

I know some people who would disagree. :)
Plus, is this how "friends" talk? LOL

I smile as I read her message.
It's how WE talk, babe.

Babe lol.

Yes. Lol

You're trouble.

You love it.
I decide to push my limit.
What are you wearing, Scarlett?

Oh man. Luke lol. What are YOU wearing?

Shorts.

I snap her a picture of me and make it a point to show the V on my lower abs that she loved so much.

Still hitting the gym I see.
She replies.

Send me a picture. Please.

Moments later, she sends a picture. I suck in a deep breath and screenshot it. She's in bed and the white sheets barely cover her naked body.

Fuck Scar.
I text.

Sorry, Luke.

For what?

Everything.