Thirty Seven. Scarlett

Songs for this chapter:
Halsey- Hurricane
Natalia Kills-Problem.

I power my phone off until I absolutely need it.
They are awake now, and probably running around panicking. I feel a sudden rush of sadness, but I swallow it down.
I drive all day and into the night until I almost fall asleep. I pull into a Walmart and sleep awhile. When I'm feeling okay, I head inside to use the bathroom and grab some snacks. I pull back on the road, but I see a Starbucks so I decide to grab a coffee, then I hit the road again.
I get closer and closer to LA and further away from New York. From my family.
When I arrive in LA, I meet Starla at her hotel.
"Daddy is mad!" She says. "He's been calling nonstop. I lied and told him I thought you were heading to my place in the Bahamas. That I sent someone to wait for your arrival. Not sure he bought it."
"Thanks again. I need away for a bit. Although I'm sure they know I'm here."
"I heard all the stuff. Is it true?"
"No. Maybe." I shrug. She nods but doesn't press as she stands.
"So are we partying? Drugs? Booze? Hot guys?"
"None of the above." I say and she pouts. "I want to fuel my rage, not dull it. How's the fight scene here?"
"Underground fights? Not bad. Want me to set something up?"
"Yes." I smile.

This should be fun.

After I shower, the hotel phone rings.
"Who would be calling?" She asks.
"It's for me, I'm sure." I roll my eyes but answer. "Hello Cam."
"Get home." He says.
"I need time."
"We were trying to protect you." He pleads.
"Of course you knew!" I laugh.
"We love you, Scarlett. Natasha made it all up and wanted to watch you sink."
"She made it all up, Cam?"
"She spilled some, okay, but Cooper didn't cheat on you. I fucking swear! It started almost a year after you left. I kept tabs on him, I would know!"
"I need some time, Cam. Please just give me a week."
"They are falling apart here." He whispers.
"Tell them I love them. Tell Luke, for keeps. Tell Cooper, always."
"Will do. Please be safe, and turn on your phone."
"I'll think about it." I smile.
"Come home." He says.
"Soon."

After we hang up, Starla and I decide to head out to shop.
Paparazzi hound us all day. They ask the same questions about Cooper, but I ignore them.

The week flies by and  I break my word to Cam. The media won't leave me alone, so I decide to say something.
"Cooper is an outstanding man. He would never do anything to hurt me, and while things aren't as they should be at this moment, I can say that I honestly love him. Natasha Novak is a pathological liar who couldn't cope with coming in second."

I party with Starla, but I don't drink or do drugs, I don't want to feel numb.
As more things air about Cooper and Natasha, I crave the feeling of tearing into my skin. To feel pain.
Suddenly I have an idea. I grab my purse and into the California sunshine.

The new black ink on my wrists make me smile as I leave the tattoo shop. Pops are waiting and I throw up two peace signs before I get into my car.
"Good news!" Starla says as I enter the room.
"What's up?" I ask before I down a bottle of water.
"I got you a fight tonight!"
"Really! Thanks!!" I laugh excitedly.
"Get ready because tonight is going to be awesome!"

We get ready for the fights. I wear a pair of black athletic shorts, a sports bra, and a white tank top with some Nike shoes. Starla is in six inch heels and a metal dress.
The crowd is bustling as we come in the back doors. It's almost deafening inside.
We give my name to a man with a list and he tells me I'm fight four.
We watch the first three fights together before I head to the ring.
"Alright alright alright, we got royalty up in the house tonight!" The emcee says. "New York's Princess, Scarlett Shay vs our three time champ, Morgan Diaz! Now remember ladies, anything goes. And remember, just because you're girls, doesn't mean we want you to fight like girls!" The crowd laughs as we tap hands.
Morgan Diaz has thirty pounds on me easy, but I can tell her footwork is sloppy so there's my advantage.
"It you're not the strongest, be the fastest." My dad's words echo in my head.
"Begin!" The emcee screams and the crowd goes wild.
Morgan doesn't hesitate as she lunges forward. I inside step and hit her in the face. She shakes it off quickly, and lunges again. Side step, hit.
After a few more of those, she anticipates my step and clocks me right in the face. I shake it off before she knocks into me, taking me down. We roll around hitting each other, it's hit for hit and I taste blood, but finally push her off of me.
One more hit to her face and she is out cold.
The emcee declares me winner, I collect my stack of money, and Starla and I head out.
"You were awesome!" She laughs. "But damn your face is already bruising." She frowns.
"It's whatever." I smile as adrenaline courses through my body, making me feel high.
I'm on top of the world as we head to a party.