Fifty. Cooper

Song for this chapter:
The Chainsmokers ft Emily Warren- Until You Were Gone.

Starla points the gun at Scarlett and Scarlett locks her eyes on mine. The wind blows a piece of hair across her face as she mouths I love you and points to her wrist.
Always.
I will always love Scarlett. I will always be there for her. I will always protect her.
I lunge right before Starla pulls the trigger.
Starla hits the glass and the gun falls from her hands.
I kick the gun and rush to Scarlett. She's holding pressure on her shoulder.
"I'm okay." She nods.
Luke rushes out along with the five guys. They handcuff Starla until police arrive along with an ambulance.
Mandy runs out and hugs Scarlett as she cries.
"What were you thinking?" She asks.
"I couldn't let her hurt you or Carter." Scarlett smiles.
"Thank you." She says before Brady moves her back inside.
Scarlett looks at me. "Please know I was lying."
"Of course." I nod.
"Lying about what?" Luke asks.
"She created a diversion." Loki smiles. "Good girl."
She nods.
"This big ass baby is yours." She smiles and I bend down to kiss her.
Moments later, the apartment is pure chaos. Police and paramedics are everywhere. They take Scarlett and I won't leave her side. Neither will Luke.
"Cooper!" Starla screams. "I love you Cooper!" She shouts as they put her in the back of the police car. I can't even look at her.
"I'm so sorry." I tell Scarlett.
"I knew it wasn't you. You aren't a monster." She smiles sadly.
"What?" Luke asks I tell him everything.
"Wow. She's a psychopath." He shakes his head.

The devastation Starla caused weighs us down as we try and wrap our heads about it.
"She killed Asher." Scarlett finally sobs. I lean down to kiss her as I cry for our son.

The bullets are through and through. Neither of us need surgery, but Scarlett has to stay monitored for a few days.
I sit by her bed and think about all the signs I missed.
Starla was in love with me. I wouldn't have ever been with her. I thought we were friends.
She killed Asher. She made me into a monster. She ran Scarlett away.
I cry as Scarlett sleeps. Luke comes in from giving his statement and hugs me.
"I'm so sorry." He tells me.
"This is my fault. I let her into our lives."
"You didn't know." He says.
"I should have."
"How?" Scarlett whispers in the dark room. "Neither of us could have known."
"How do you feel?" I sit up and worry about my wife.
"Is he okay?" She asks not wanting to touch her stomach.
"He's fine." I say and Luke and I both put our hands on her belly. She cries into her hands.
"I thought I would lose you all today." She says.
"It's over now. We are okay." Luke says. He clears his throat. "Look you know I love you, but with this new information, I feel like maybe I should bow out. Neither of you-" He smiles as Scarlett pulls his shirt, cutting him off, and kisses him.
"You were saying?" She asks raising her brow.
"Yeah fuck it. I was trying to be noble, but it lasted about ten seconds. I'm growing old with you both." He smiles.
"Good." I say and smile.
"Why would you even say that-" Scarlett frowns but he kisses her.
"I'm sorry." He smiles.
"Just don't do that again." She smiles.
"Yes ma'am." He says.

We all sleep in the room together that night. And the next. Until Scarlett is released.
We are both pretty helpless when we get home. The bullet in my leg didn't cause as much damage as Scarlett's. She's going to have to do physical therapy for months. Luke carries her everywhere and offers to carry me.
"Fuck off." I laugh as I hobble to breakfast.
Since the Starla incident, the rest of our group has taken it upon themselves to spend most of their time with us. Breakfast and dinner is always spent together around the huge dining room table.
The girls stay here all day, keeping Scarlett company. Brett has been handling my meetings until I'm ready to go back. I do some work from home, but I mostly focus on my insanely beautiful wife.
It took a week for Luke and myself to touch her intimately, and it's still slow, but we make it work.
Even Luke is gentle with her, afraid he will hurt her.