Chapter Twelve

"They don't know what they missed."

That line just kept repeating in my head. I had already gotten home, showered and was ready for bed. I was out in the back putting my wet clothes on the clothes line. Up above, the stars were shining brightly. They twinkled and I leaned against the patio and gazed at them.

"And I look forward to tomorrow."

I snapped out of thought and stood straight. He looks forward to tomorrow! For me!

What in the world?!

I went running back in.

"Khushi," Amma called out, but I dashed away.

"Sanka Devi," Buaji hollered, but I had no time.

I ran up to my room, closed the door, and ran to my closet. I took everything I owned out of the closet. I put my red cholis in one pile, my red saris in another, and the rest in its own pile. I placed each choli over me and sari to figure out which one would look better on me.

"I think a sari would be better."

I jumped and turned and saw Buaji at my door.

I placed my hand over my chest. "You have got to stop doing that!"

Buaji chuckled and came in, shutting the door behind, locking it.

Why didn't I just do that? -____-

Buaji looked at the piles. "So red is his favorite color, eh?"

I looked at Buaji. "How'd you know?"

"By your piles." She sighed. "Its obvious, I mean come on, we've all done this before - me, your mother, etc."

"Even Choti Ma?"

"Everyone, even Garima. But it's okay - we understand from this that you're serious about him."

I blushed, which I usually don't do around Buaji. Buaji chuckled and I made a face.

"Well help me," I exclaimed.

Buaji chuckled even more. "If I were you, I'd go with a sari." She leaned forward. "Show off some skin and that hourglass figure," she winked.

I gasped. "Buaji!"

She laughed like a little girl and left. I shook my head as she shut the door and looked at the saris. I did have a sari in mind, so I guess I'll go with that.

I stood in front of the mirror and took a deep breath. "I hope this works."

Suddenly, I felt my heart beat.

Dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak!

Whoa boy! What in the world is happening to me?

*~*

The next day, Amma was on edge. She was asking everyone what she should wear and I find it funny because this is my proposal we're talking about, not hers. But she was like how she wanted to impress them so I guess it's understandable.

Buaji had already gotten ready and she came into my room. When she did, she widened her eyes.

"Sanka Devi, why aren't you dressed yet?!"

I was sitting on my bed and I looked up at her. "I don't know," I whispered.

Buaji came over to me and sat beside me. "What's wrong," she asked softly.