Chapter Sixty One

Once I was in the car and the driver pulled away, I told him to head straight to the hotel. Originally I had planned on going back home and talk to Di and the family, but given what had just happened, I just couldn't deal with that right now.

As the driver headed back to the hotel, I went through all of the pictures I had taken. Some of it I didn't understand, some of it I didn't care for, like her lack of iron. I continued browsing through the pictures, when I paused on one. In all the rush and the adrenaline I had been feeling in the heat of the moment, it completely went past my head and I never even realized the copies of her sonogram pictures in the files. My eyes widened as I stared down at it, my eyes looking at the tiny dark dot in the picture.

She really was pregnant.

It felt as if my throat was closing in and it became hard to breathe. I had to ask the driver to stop and I stepped out, feeling sick to my stomach! Not even five seconds after stepping out of the car did I hurl out what little was in my stomach. The driver quickly came to my side and gave me support, and when I was done releasing the contents of my stomach, he passed me a bottle of water. Calming down and chugging down some water, I squatted down to the ground, splashing water on my face and tapping some on my head.

Kinjal, my birth mother, was actually pregnant. No hunches, no guesses - she truly was pregnant.

"Ma'am," the driver called out to me.

I looked up at him and saw my phone ringing in his hand. Standing up, I took it from him and saw that it was Arnav.

I can't even talk to him right now.

I let him go to voicemail before I silenced it, then looked at the driver. "Not a word of this to my husband."

The poor man nodded and went back to the car. I turned away and looked up at the sky, hoping for it to give me some sort of strength.

"Back when I used to be with her, she occasionally liked to hook up with other people."

Wait a minute!

Going through my phone again, I swiped through the pictures. I don't know why I let it escape my mind about Kinjal and her non-loyalty. I went through each of the sonograms, looking at them very carefully, down to the last detail, when my brain clicked.

Holy fuck!

My phone rang once more, silently, the pictures going away, but it wasn't Arnav calling this time.

What now?

*~*

Arriving back at the hotel, I walked in, giving the driver another look to make sure he wouldn't tell Arnav anything. The two of us have enough worries as it is, I don't need anything else to add on to his list.

"Khushi?"

I froze at the sound of Di's voice, my eyes darting to her. She got up from the couch she was sitting on, looking at me. I could see a mix of emotions in her eyes, most of it to be worry. She made her way over to me, glancing down at her feet.

"Khushi, I... I," and she sighed, looking dejected. "I don't even know what to say."

I looked down at floor.

"Is Chote...?"

"He's upstairs, I'm just coming back from an appointment."

She nodded and hummed in acknowledgement. Neither of us said anything for a moment, the various sounds of the lobby surrounding us, people passing by.

"Di-"

"Khushi, I'm really sorry," and she tackled me with a hug, stunning me. "I know it was absolutely wrong for me to just suspect like that, I know I shouldn't have but when it comes to Chote-!"

"I know Di," I said softly, patting her lightly on her back. "I know."

In all honesty, I'm not angry with Arnav's family whatsoever. If my mother hadn't called and hadn't been hysterical, there wouldn't have been any issues between Arnav and Di right now, there wouldn't have been any issues with any of them at all. It breaks my heart that Amma did such a thing, and I felt my heart twist again.

She pulled back, looking down at the ground as tears fell down her cheeks. "He must be really angry," she sniffled.

"Really," I said softly.

Her eyes met mine. "You must be angrier."

"Numb would probably be the better word.," I said honestly.

Di pursed her lips, looking down before glancing back at me. "Please come back home, we're all very sorry."

I reached out and held her hand. "I want to."

"We screwed up, I admit that. Nani and the others wanted to come with me as well but I thought it would be better if I just came alone instead of causing a ruckus here. We really want you to come back home Khushi, and Chote as well."

I pursed my lips, squeezing her hand.

"Talk to him please? Convince him to come home?"

My eyes darted to hers. "You won't see him?"

Di shook her head. "You know how Chote is when he gets angry," she said softly.

I gave her hand another squeeze. "Di, he loves you very much. His anger means nothing, come upstairs and talk to him-"

"No Khushi. The way Chote acted... its different this time."

"But Di-"

"No Khushi," she repeated, shaking her head. "If I were to go see him, he'd get angrier."

"Di, he loves you too much. He wouldn't-"

"Talk to him, please? Convince him? We just reacted from what we heard, and we shouldn't have in that way. We're really sorry Khushi."

I nodded, pursing my lips once more.

Di gave me another hug and then she left, wiping her tears as she walked away.

How am I going to handle all of this?