Chapter Thirty Seven

Everything after that was simply a blur. There were a few moments that I had caught on, like being rushed away on a stretcher while people called out my name. Another moment I had caught on was the doctor telling everyone I had had a bad case of food poisoning, and as much as I wanted to scoff at the idea, I couldn't find the strength within me to do so. I remember a moment where I had woken up and Arnav was beside me, holding my hand as he laid his head on the bed and slept. A part of me wanted to reach out to him, but I couldn't and I didnt have the strength. At one point I was transferred home and I simply laid in bed. Everyone would come and check on me now and then, and while on the exterior I was doing somewhat better, inside, I was under torment.

My birth mother was back in my life, but not in the way I had hoped. Instead, she was pregnant with my husband's child! My husband's! The thought and the memory of the photograph from her ultrasound only made me sick to my stomach, causing me to only hurl out my guts even more. Arnav tried to be there for me but the truth is....

I know that Arnav didn't know that she was my birth mother but still - I just couldn't help the way I felt! I was utterly disgusted and I wanted space from him. It hurt me to do so but it also hurt me to have him close. Arnav slowly began to understand that I needed distance from him, and it hurt me to see him be so hurt, but I simply couldn't care about that right now.

So much for everything being perfect... so much for Arnav being Mr. Perfect.

Time went on, and I slowly began to feel better and was able to stomach certain things. I was still on antibiotics, and everyone was doing their best to take care of me. It was clear that Arnav wanted to as well, but I just couldn't. One night when Arnav had gotten into bed, he had brushed against me and I had recoiled, flinching away. The pain I had seen in his eyes truly did hurt me as well but I... I just...

I can't.

Nani had decided that perhaps it would be a good idea for me to have a change of environment, so she had me go home for a few days. Amma did her best to take care of me, going above and beyond as she always did, as well as Babuji. After much insistence, I had made Buaji go away on her trip, even though she had refused and wanted to stay back for me. But I understood how important her trips were for her, and honestly, the less people I had hounding on me, the better, so I had forced her to go.

It had been about a week and a half that I was at my parents' house, and everyday, Arnav would come to visit. However, when he would though, he kept a safe distance from me, just the way I would prefer it. He wouldn't say a single word, but he would keep his eyes on me, even though I ignored him and focused on whatever it was that I was doing. I wanted to stay longer, but Amma didn't think it was right for me to stay for too long, in fear that my in laws would say something. But Nani was only supportive, seeing that I was doing better while at my parents' so she agreed for me to stay even longer.

I had stayed in my home for about three weeks, purposely stretching my time here. I needed time to think and I needed a clear headspace. Even though Arnav would stay for a while when he visited, I still had more than enough hours to allow for myself to think.

Although really, what really is there to think about? It was just the processing of things that was just so... fuck! ...but then again, there were things to really think about it, and after being here for the weeks, I finally had done it.

I was ready to go back, so Arnav had picked me up and took me home. However, when we arrived, Nani didn't want me on my feet and had told Arnav to carry me up to our room. I glanced at Arnav as he glanced at me. Nani only repeated herself, and finally, Arnav picked me up into his arms and took me upstairs.

My mind was instantly transported back to the day we had arrived home from our honeymoon, and my heart constricted. Everything was so much better back then, and yet in reality, it wasn't even that long ago. We haven't even been married for 3 months, and yet things were already so rocky.

Arnav entered our room and placed me in bed. He went to reach over for a blanket, but paused when he felt the tug of my mangalsutra stuck on his shirt. My hands had immediately reached out, one holding onto my mangalsutra while the other gripped him from moving. Arnav's eyes moved from my hand on him to my eyes. Neither of us moved, nor said a word. He was so close to me, closer than he had been in days! There was a part of me that just wanted to pull him to me and kiss him, but there was the other part of me that was just disgusted by him.

Something in his eyes stirred and he looked away. He freed my mangalsutra from the button of his shirt and grabbed the blanket, draping it over me before leaving me to myself. His sudden actions left me stunned, and to be honest, hurt.

Since then, Arnav had been distant, and it wasn't because of my needs. It was clear in his eyes whenever I would see him, that he was truly hurt by me. But it just wasn't easy for me to go up to him, I mean for fucks sake, my birth mother is pregnant with his child!!! Surely I have the right to have wanted space from him! I mean the situation is just so... fuck!!!

More than a month had passed since Kinjal's revelation of her and her pregnancy, and for the first time, she had reached out by phone. Arnav was out by the poolside when she had called. He had put her on speakerphone, letting me know silently that she had called, having me hear what she had to say. She had demanded for Arnav to give $10,000 in funds for the month, or else she was going to tell the world about her pregnancy. Arnav attempted to threaten her back, but the woman only cackled and said that she expected her money, or else....

When she had hung up, Arnav's laptop notified him of an email. I walked over to it and saw that it was an email from none other than the woman herself. Enraged, I clicked on it, only to find two attachments. I clicked on the first one, revealing a photo from an ultrasound. Unlike in the photo I had seen a month ago, this photo contained a bigger fetus, Kinjal's name stated at the corner. It took me a moment to calm myself, shutting my eyes as I took in even breaths. Once I had relaxed, I closed the picture and opened the second attachment, only to be enraged once more.

The woman had sent a photo of her - naked - revealing her backside as she held her hair up in her hands, crossing her legs. The sight of it made me rage with disgust and I immediately deleted it amd blocked her email address. Anger and rage built within me, so I entered the dressing room and without any thought, I began to scream.

Arnav came following in. "Khushi-"

"Get away from me!"

"Khushi-"

"I said get away!"

"But-"

"GET AWAY," and I reached out for whatever my hands could get on, and threw it to the ground.

I huffed and puffed heavily, items scattered throughout the floor. I felt so drained, that my knees gave out beneath me and I collapsed. Arnav immediately reached out for me and grabbed me, holding onto me.

"Khushi, are you okay," he asked, caressing my cheek. "Baby answer me, look at me Khushi!"

And for the first time since our wedding, I cried. I finally cried, my heart twisting and constricting inside of me, aching. I held onto Arnav, clawing at him in fits of rage, but Arnav didn't stop me and allowed for me to do as I did. I buried my face in his neck, crying away as I gripped onto him. I don't think I've ever cried like this, but then again, I had never been this hurt in my life, ever.