Chapter Seventy Nine

Letting out a small sigh, I moved closer to Kinjal. She noticed me moving towards her and looked up at me, her eyes not dropping from me even as I sat down beside her.

"Amma wants to see you," I said.

Kinjal's eyes widened as her lips parted. "What?"

I nodded. "Arnav told the whole family the truth. Now Amma wants to see you."

Shock remained on Kinjal's face, even though she had turned away. I watched her for a moment, seeing her eyes dash from side to side as the gears in her head cranked.

"From what she described," I began, "you're nothing like the girl you were when you were 14."

Kinjal said nothing, still processing things.

"If what Amma is saying is true... how could you have changed so much? How could you have changed from such a hopeless romantic to... to this selfish monster?"

Her eyes immediately met mine. "Don't call me that."

I didn't say anything.

"I was not a hopeless romantic."

So calling you a selfish monster means nothing, hmm?

"No? You didn't treasure everything Dad gave you? You didn't lock all of his gifts away, refusing to part with any of the things he gave you? Down to the first rose he ever gave you?"

Kinjal immediately looked away.

"You were so in love... how could you just let that go-?"

Her face immediately turned around to mine. "Me?! I let that go? You seem to be messing up the story, daughter! It's your stupid father who fucking wrecked everything, not me!"

"But you didn't try! You didn't try to fix things, you could've gone back! You-!"

"I did try! After Raghav kicked me out of his home, I thought that talking to his parents would help me! That once they got to know about me being pregnant with you, they would make a clear way for me to go back into his life. But no! Instead they threatened me! Threatened to kill me! Threatened to kill you!"

My eyes widened.

"Your father may be a softy for you, but his parents? Had I not ran away, they would've taken you and ripped you apart, limb by limb," she sneered.

I looked at her in horror.

"And they wouldn't have regretted it. They had told me so themselves. They'd do anything to keep their high position in society, even if that means killing an innocent babe."

I could only look at her in shock. Did dad not know this?

The doors to the study immediately opened, Raghav and Arnav coming back in.

"That's a lie," Raghav growled.

My eyes darted to his and as soon as I was going to ask him how he had heard, I remembered the security system.

They both had to have been listening and watching everything.

Kinjal scoffed beside me. "Come now, shona, did you really not know your parents?"

Raghav only glared at her.

"Your father never gave a shit about you and only cared for his business. Your mother only cared for materialistic things and lost her mind after the death of your father - too worried that she was going to lose all of her materialistic possessions. If the woman can go crazy over that, you don't think an illegitimate child wouldn't do that too?"

Raghav's eyes slightly widened. It was evident the gears in his own brain were cranking, thinking through of Kinjal's words.

"That's what I thought," and Kinjal looked away.

Dad shook his head, moving his hand through his hair. "All of that aside, Kinjal, you could've told me instead! You could've told me about your pregnancy when we fought. You knew by then that you were pregnant, so why didn't you tell me?!"

Kinjal immediately shot up from her seat. "Tell you?! Tell you?! I wanted to! I was going to tell you that very day, but you turned on me! You wanted nothing more to do with me, turning me into a monster! You turned me into the very things those stupid rumors said! Those stupid rumors that a loser teenager said all because he couldn't bury his dick in me! You went with his words! You chose lies! So why should I have told you?!"

All of us looked at her in shock.

"You know for a moment, I was going to. When you had taken a hold of my wrist and had dragged me to kick me out, I debated. I debated on telling you right then and there, I knew how you felt towards having children of your own, I could've told you then."

Raghav's eyes widened.

"That moment was the deciding factor. In that one moment, everything could've changed. In fact, had I actually told you like I had wanted to, then this story would've been something else... but it isn't," and she looked away.

Neither of us said anything for a moment, silence surrounding us, when I finally spoke.

"Amma wants to see you, she's fallen sick. You have to come with us."

Kinjal scoffed lightly. "I have to?"

"Don't bother with the attitude Kinjal. Your expression earlier when I first told you that Amma wanted to see you made it clear how badly you want to see her."

I could feel her gaze on me, but I didn't care to look.

"You're coming with us, and that's final."

"Bunny-"

"Dad, please, don't," I said, cutting Raghav off.

"But Khushi, think about it," Arnav said. "Do you really think after everything, that anyone would want her to come anywhere near our home. It's obvious I don't, and I already know you don't."

With a sigh, I stood up. "In other circumstances, no, I wouldn't want her anywhere near our home, forget stepping even a foot inside. But Amma wants to see her and Amma is in no condition to even get on her feet. Therefore we have to take Kinjal with us."

Arnav looked away, scowling.

"Dad, you can have you security tightly surround her if need be."

Kinjal scoffed besides me. "What's next? You guys are gonna have me handcuffed," and she scoffed once more.

"If you weren't pregnant with my child, it would be more than handcuffs," Raghav snarled.

"Oh? Is that an invitation," she smirked.

Raghav looked away and all of us felt annoyance. But I also could understand why Kinjal was behaving in the true Kinjal-fashion that she does. So instead of letting her affect me, I had security lead her upstairs to her room so that she could get ready.

Arnav came over to my side. "Khushi, I don't like the idea of this."

"Neither do I. But Amma wants to see her and I can't deny her."

"So you've forgiven her?"

"Hardly. However, I can't deny that she gave me the life I have today. The least I can do is bring her little sister before her. Where we go on from that - where all of us go on from that... I don't know."

Arnav wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his shoulder. "We'll get through this, baby. Some way, somehow."

~

Don't forget to smash that vote button :D