Chapter Fifty Four

Arnav spotted us as we came in and with one look at my face, he understood that things were very serious. So without a word, he followed us out of the venue. Raghav went into his car, Arnav and I going into his. We followed behind Raghav, it taking a little over two hours to get there. The drive was very quiet, words just not being a thing that I could muster up and get out, and thankfully Arnav hadn't asked any questions either.

Finally, we arrived, practically in the middle of nowhere. Trees and shrubs surrounded us, with birds chirping here and there. Stepping out of the car, we followed after Raghav on a dirt path, going into the woods. Several minutes later, we came to a cemetery.

"The main entrance is on the other side, but I usually would come in from here," Raghav explained.

He continued to lead the way until we finally came to a stop. In front of us was a small grave with the word Beloved on the tombstone. Immediately I came down onto my knees, my eyes glued to the tombstone. There were a few marigolds growing around the grave, radiant with color, but I just couldn't care about it.

"I was hoping that this would be some kind of sick joke," I nearly whispered.

"It is "

I scoffed; in a way it was.

And it was a disgusting one.

"All my life, I tried to understand why she gave me away, why she never cared to reach out to me. But after everything that has happened... if no one knew about her pregnancy, she probably would've had me killed."

"Don't say that," both Arnav and Raghav said.

And I couldn't help but to scoff. The man who was half of the reason behind my existence, as well as the man who loved me more than anything, cared for me way more than the woman who had brought me into the world.

And as hard as I'm trying to not feel hurt by this, I am.

And then anger built - so much anger, I felt my whole being bubble. I reached up to wipe away the tear I hadn't realized that had escaped.

"All those years of pain," I heard Raghav say behind me. "I won't spare her."

I stood up and turned back to them. "Neither will I, I swear it."

*~*

I never expected for this day to take such a turn. I mean given all of the bliss and pleasure that I had felt before going to the event, it never occured to me that things could take such a quick turn.

As I left my birth father, it was evident that he didn't want to let me go yet. I didn't want to either, I wanted to get to know the man; and so we decided to spend a day together. To Raghav's insistence, we planned on meeting the day after, and while a part of me couldn't wait, a part of me was anxious.

"Everything will be okay," Arnav soothed me.

We were laying down in bed, unable to sleep. I had my arm wrapped around him, snuggled into his chest, while Arnav kept his arms around me.

"I've always wondered who and what my birth father is like," I said, my voice soft. "Now that I know who he is... I don't know."

"You know how he is, somewhat."

"True; but that was work related. How he is outside of that... I don't know, I just feel nervous."

"Did he say what you guys are gonna do?"

"After exchanging numbers earlier, he had texted me asking if we could get lunch tomorrow."

"That sounds like a good idea."

"Yeah... I just don't know how its going to go. Will it be awkward? Excruciatingly awkward? Or will it just be awkward-awkward?"

Arnav chuckled and kissed my hair. "Don't overthink it, babe."

I looked up at him. "I can't help it."

Arnav smiled at me, caressing my cheek as he kissed my forehead. "If I had the chance to see my father again, I don't know what I'd do."

I pursed my lips and looked down, toying with his t-shirt.

"You're lucky; you have two fathers and one of them is very excited to get to know you. Don't let your worries get to you."

I hummed into him, still toying with his shirt. Arnav had a point, so I tried to cool my nerves and forget my worries.

"Are you going to tell Amma and Babuji?"

Crap, I hadn't even thought of that! How would I even tell them that I found him? That Arnav just randomly found out?

Speaking of which....

I looked up at him. "How did you find out that Raghav's my birth father?"

"That phone call I got earlier, right before yoy went to the bar - it was a call from the PI."

My eyes widened.

"He ssid that while his team was keeping an eye on Kinjal, they noticed other people - Raghav's people. They did some digging - a lot of digging actually - and that's when they called me to give that information."

How lucky that they did. If they hadn't.... "It's kinda crazy, huh?"

"How so?"

"Both of you are trying to keep tabs on her. You gotta be something if you have two different teams of PIs keeping an eye on you."

"Kinjal is... Kinjal."

"Hmm...."

For a moment, neither of us said anything. We simply laid there, dazing off. It was pretty late, yet because of the excitement and nerves I felt, I couldn't fall asleep. I could hear Arnav's breath getting lighter, indicating that he was drifting to sleep. I honestly wish that I could fall asleep like him, but my mind was racing.

After 24 years, my birth father was in my life. How I would tell my parents who had raised me, I have no idea. How would they even feel? And then there was my birth mother, who basically has been trying to ruin things for me before I even came into the world. And as if that weren't enough, she tried to keep my birth father away from me, not only lying to him, but me as well. She clearly knew who my father was, but she lied anyways, acting like she didn't have a clue. On top of that, she was claiming to be pregnant with my husband's child.

Ugh, my brain is starting to hurt!

I looked up at Arnav, who was sound asleep, breathing lightly into my hair, his grip still on me. I tightened my hold on him, burying my face into his chest and inhaling his scent.

I've had enough troubles in my life. This is where things change - it just has to.