Chapter Seventy Eight

Silence surrounded us all. There were many shock-filled faces, some faces stained with tears, some even having both. The entire time, Raghav held onto me, all of us listening to Arnav's tale - from his relationship with Kinjal, what we've learned from Raghav, all the way up until now. I looked at my family, all looking rather shocked, especially Amma. Because I had already told Buaji about our talk from our honeymoon before, she kept looking like she was processing things, her eyes dashing back and forth as she worked things out. I then looked at Arnav's family, and I could see disappointment on Di's face, as well as sorrow. Even Nani had the same expression, and both were being held and supported by Jeejaji. Mama, Mami, and Mai looked so hurt, and poor Akash and NK were confused, even hurt.

"So you'll have to understand why we think of her differently," Arnav said, his voice low and full of shame.

Releasing myself from my father's hold, I went over to Arnav. I took hold of his hand and gave it a squeeze, and his tear-full eyes turned to mine. I quickly gave him a hug, knowing how hard and difficult that must have been for him, to have told everyone everything.

But I'm proud of him. Even though the secrets were so ugly and so disgusting, he still did it. In other circumstances, it would have been fine if he went on to never tell them, even now! I was ready to say things that kept Arnav's past safe, but he went ahead anyways.

"Kajol!"

Arnav and I turned to see Amma on the floor, the others huddled around her. We quickly went to her side, me crouching down before her.

"Amma, are you okay," I asked.

Amma still looked pretty much stunned. "I... it... who is she? Who has she become?"

I looked away.

"Kinjal, she... my little sister was never like that, she... what has she become, what...?"

Amma began to fade out, her eyes shutting.

"Amma! Amma, what's wrong," I exclaimed, patting her cheek.

"Kajol," Babuji and Buaji called out.

"Bade Ma," Payal called out, rubbing her hand.

"Hari Prakash, quickly get some water," Arnav yelled out.

All of us tried calling out to her to wake her up. Nani quickly told Arnav to take her into a room, Hari Prakash coming in after us to give water. I quickly sprinkled some over her face, and soon Amma came around.

"Amma, are you okay," I asked.

Amma gripped my hand. "Take me to her," she said lowly.

What?! "Amma-!"

"I need to see her, Khushi, I...."

She began to fade out again, but I quickly caught her.

"Khushi, maybe it's better if we gave her some rest," Di said.

I nodded, all of us agreeing. I tried to get up, but Amma quickly caught my hand.

"Bring her to me Khushi, please."

Amma.... "I'll do what I can."

Babuji decided to stay with her, the rest of us stepping out of the room and going back to the family room.

"I didn't expect her to react like this " I said lowly.

"Me neither," Arnav replied, his tone matching mine.

"Chote!"

The two of us paused and turned to Di. She looked very angry, not to mention disappointed, as she looked at Arnav. She slowly stepped forward, glaring him down, and then out of nowhere, she slapped him.