Chapter Fifty Three

It was hard to think anything at this point. My brain just couldn't get itself together, no matter what. There was no thought process but a loop, nor was there emotion being displayed. I mean, the truth is I'm confused and very much so. After all, the woman who whored around and gave birth to me had no fucking clue as to who my birth father is, but somehow Arnav does? But then again, Kinjal is a massive manipulator, so for all I know, she could've lied to me. But why? Why lie and not tell me that Raghav Malhotra is my father? It just didn't make any sense! How could my brain not get stuck in a loop with these thoughts? That's why all I was able to do was get away from everyone and excuse myself to the lakeside that was right outside of the venue. It was much more quiet here, only a few people out here to get away from the commotion But even though I was out here, I couldn't escape it, whatsoever.

"Khushi?"

I shut my eyes and let out a sigh as I felt Arnav move beside me. He wrapped his arm around my waist and neither of us said anything, simply staring at the water. The only noise that surrounded us was that of what escaped from the party behind us, and from the few people outside as well. Moments passed, but still we remained silent, until finally Arnav broke it.

"Talk to me babe," he said softly.

I let out another sigh before turning into Arnav and wrapping my arms around him. He held me protectively in his, bringing me to his chest.

Honestly, I just didn't know what to say. What do I even ask first? How did he find out the truth? Did Kinjal lie to me? Did she not? If this man is truly my father, where has he been all this time? I just....

I'm so confused.

"Khushi?"

Both Arnav and I looked up to see Mr.- my birth father. His expression was soft and genuine, and it was obvious that he wanted to talk. His eyes made it very evident that he was desperate, too. And if I was going to get answers, I have to start with him. So I pulled away from Arnav, turning to the man.

He came towards us, standing a few feet away from me. "Can we talk," he asked softly.

I glanced at Arnav and with one look at me, he understood what I was trying to say, so he nodded and placed a lingering kiss on my head. He turned to walk away, giving my birth father a piercing look before leaving us. But the man looked unfazed and turned to me, gesturing me to follow him and sit at a nearby bench. I did so, following behind him and sitting down next to him.

Neither of us said anything for a moment, looking at the lake. But he broke the silence first, looking at me.

"What are you thinking," he asked, his voice still soft.

And for some reason, I let out a small chuckle. But can you even really blame me? "My brain is too fucked up to think properly."

He didn't say anything, simply pursing his lips as he looked down.

"Not going to scold me for my potty mouth, daddy dearest?"

"Khushi-"

"You know she told me that she had no idea who my birth father is? But for all I know, she could've been lying."

"She did."

I looked at him. Why am I not surprised at all?

"She knew you were my child... that's why she ran away and hid from me."

"Meaning?"

Raghav Malhotra rubbed his hands together, looking down at them before looking at the lake. "Many years ago, before you were born, my family was very prosperous. We were very well known in society, the family company exceeding."