Chapter Forty Five

It was almost time for dinner, but Arnav still wasn't back yet. Everyone was gathering at the table and I kept anxiously staring towards the entrance.

Where are you Arnav?

"Khushi?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned my attention to Di. She looked at me curiously, but I simply shook my head, gesturing that it was nothing.

Placing down the last of the food, I sat down in my seat quietly, anxiety beginning to slowly overtake me because I knew someone was going to ask me very soon where Arnav was. And as if right on cue, Di asked the very question I was afraid of.

"It's time for dinner but Chote's still not here, how odd. Where is he Khushi?"

Shit! How am I supposed to answer this? I don't want to lie to her!

"Bhai's at a dinner thing," Akash said.

Oh thank-! Want a minute, what?

"Dinner thing," Anjali questioned.

"Yeah, one of our clients invited us to it; I was going to go, but then Bhai called me up earlier today and said that it was a better idea if he went instead."

Oh... well, if that's the case, then why didn't he answer my phone calls earlier? I mean seriously- why am I even wondering such a stupid thing? Of course he was choosing not to answer my phone calls! I'm the one who fucked up after all! I never should've said that but my stupid brain just had to have a case of word diarrhea! How could I have been so stupid-?

"Khushi betiyan, are you okay?"

"Huh?"

I looked up at Nani to see her looking at me with concern, as well as Di, not to mention everyone else.

"Oh... um... I'm just not hungry," I said softly.

"Is something wrong, are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine Nani, I guess I just ate a little too much when I was out, so I'm just full from that," I lied.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for lying to her, but I just had to. If she knew the real reason why I had no appetite... I can't even begin to imagine how she'd feel, let alone everyone in the family.

"Um, if it's alright, may I be excused?"

Nani nodded and I got up, making my way over to my room. I looked at my phone, and still, even after all of these hours, there was not even a single phone call from Arnav. With a sigh, I decided to get changed up for bed. While I brushed my teeth, I couldn't help but to look at myself in the mirror.

"Though I've never been good at it, looking at you, it wouldn't be so easy for someone to tell immediately that you're my daughter. You turned out to be quite the blend...."

I analyzed my face, mentally comparing it to Kinjal's. The woman had a point - if you were to just look at the two of us, you wouldn't be able to immediately tell that we're - unfortunately - mother and daughter. I was a total blend of her and whoever's sperm she had collected while whoring around.

Remembering her words from when I had asked her about my birth-father came into mind.

"Do you even remember who you screwed when you made me?"

"Yeah right!"

Kinjal has no doubt totally ruined my hopes of a positive reuniting with my birth-mother, but she's now also managed to to ruin the chances of me finding my birth-father. I mean honestly what am I supposed to do? Track down the tons of men she's fucked prior to getting pregnant with me? Yeah right!

I just fucking hate her! All she does is ruin or try to ruin things for me!

I spat out the toothpaste from my mouth, harshly, and finished up taking care of my business. I had decided to wear shorts and one of Arnav's t-shirts, since it was pretty hot. Stepping out of the dressing room, I entered the bedroom. I noticed that my phone was dim, so I picked it up and saw that Arnav had sent a text a few minutes ago.

Gonna be late. Don't wait up for me.

My shoulders sagged immediately - he's that upset with me that he's avoiding me, refusing to even look at me.

Tears came swelling into my eyes and let themselves free, flowing down along my cheeks. I chucked my phone aside, shut the lights off, and went to bed, crying my eyes out as I held onto Arnav's pillow.

*~*

Khushi...

I have no idea where I am. Everything around me was hazy, just a blur of pastel colors along a white background.

Khushi...

Suddenly the colors changed. Instead of the nice yellows and pinks, black began pouring in. All of the colors washed away, even the white as the blackness spread and took over everything. Fear began to take over me, everything feeling eerie. It felt as if my soul was being pulled away from me, and I cried out in pain, refusing to let go, but the darkness tugged and tugged, until it finally took it away.

"Arnav!"

I plopped up in bed, snapping out of the nightmare and back to reality. The room was dark, except for the little bit of lighting that always crept in from the poolside. My heart thudded in my ears, it racing really fast. My forehead felt cool from the little beads of sweat, but it honestly didn't help the chilling feeling the nightmare had left within me.

"Khushi?"

My head snapped around, finding a confused Arnav beside me, looking at me with concern as he held his pillow. Without a thought, I threw my arms around him and my tears flowed free as I cried into his neck.

"I'm so sorry," I bawled. "I am so, so sorry Arnav, I didn't mean it like that, of course I trust you! I trust you more than I trust myself, I trust you with all of my life! I was just so irritated and angry, I acted brashly and went to her house with the money. I don't like what she's doing to you, I just don't! I thought that maybe by going there, I'd be able to figure out if she had some fake pregna bump or something and I'd be able to catch her, but I couldn't find anything and I-"

"Breathe Khushi, breathe."

"I'm sorry," and I continued to cry into his neck.

For a moment, Arnav didn't say anything. Finally, he wrapped his arms around me and held me, protectively. It only made me cry more, out of guilt. But Arnav soothed me, running his hand along my hair. When I finally calmed down, he slightly loosened his hold on me so he could reach back and get me a glass of water. He handed it over to me and I took a few gulps before handing it back to him so he could put it back. When he turned his attention back to me, he wiped away my tears and I looked up at him.

"I'm sorry," I nearly whispered.

Arnav let out a sigh and caressed my cheeks. "It's not your fault, but I forgive you."

Taking his hand in mine, I placed a kiss on his palm and then snuggled into it, "You ignored me all day - I didn't mean to upset you, honest."

Arnav brought my face closer to his, "I know," he said softly.

I looked into his eyes. "Do you still love me," I asked, searching for the answer.

Arnav let out a sigh with a small smile. "Forever and always," and he covered my lips with his and took me away from this world and into our own.