Chapter Forty Nine

Things were going better between Arnav and I, and given the situation, it's good that it was. Arnav was really keen on getting a private investigator to keep track of Kinjal's whereabouts, but given that she duped the PI my parents had hired years ago, I wasn't so keen about it. I mean if she was able to seduce the PI my parents hired and have him lie to us to the point of photoshopping photos for us, who's to say she won't catch this one and do the same?

A private investigator won't do, it just won't.... If I were to somehow snoop around and keep an eye on her, then maybe, just maybe-

"Is this seat taken?"

Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked up to see none other than Mr. Raghav Malhotra himself. Once again we were at another party, and while Arnav was mingling with business partners, I was keeping myself occupied at the bar.

"Nope," I smiled lightly.

Mr. Malhotra gave a slight nod before sitting down in the chair beside me. He ordered himself a gin and tonic, and the bartender got his drink before resuming his work.

"Not mingling with anyone today," he asked me, and then took a sip of his drink.

"No, I've done a lot of that already. What about you?"

"Done."

I couldn't help the light scoff and small smile on my face. I glanced at him for a moment, remembering back to the last event I had seen him and how hastily he had left.

"Is everything alright with you," I asked, daringly.

Mr. Malhotra had brought his drink up to his lips and paused as the words left my mouth. He glanced at me, his eyebrow arched.

"Well asides from the facts we both know," I began, referring to his company, "that other night, you left in quite the rush."

Mr. Malhotra let out a small scoff and continued to drink his drink. "Just acquiring a certain asset, that's all."

"Is that so?"

Honestly, something about his words felt a little shady.

"Quite so," he lightly smirked at me.

"And what exactly is this so called asset? From the information I've seen, I don't think there's much that any asset could do for your company," I said daringly.

I don't know where this is coming from, but I must admit, once the business side kicks in, things could get real dirty, real quick.

But Mr. Malhotra didn't mind. Instead, he actually grinned and took another sip of his drink. "Oh I'm afraid its nothing like that, dear."

"Oh? Well if its not business then...."

One look at his expression was enough to make me understand that it was definitely the end of the phrase that I was saying.

"Well, sort of," he quickly added in when he realized I understood what he was trying to say.

"Why sort of?"

"Let's just say I had some old bones to pick with."

I looked at him in confusion. "Meaning?"

"Meaning someone long ago took something from me. And I aim to get it back."

"Oh? And what exactly was taken from you?"

Mr. Malhotra downed his drink and turned to me. "Let's just say that handing my company down to someone won't be such a difficult thing anymore."

I remembered my words from our first meeting and immediately understood his choice of words. "Is that so? If that is the case, I believe a congratulations is in order?"