Chapter Forty Four

No matter how many times I tried, Arnav refused to pick up my calls. They all went to voicemail, at one point his inbox becoming full.

Dammit, why did I say that? The situation is bad enough as it is, did I have to rub salt into the wound? No, absolutely not and yet I-! Fuuuucccckkkkkk!!!!

But what do I do now? Arnav wasn't picking up any of my calls and he wasn't at the office so....

I fucked up. Big time.

Suddenly my phone began to ring and without looking at it, I picked it up. "Arnav?"

"Uh, no," I heard Lavanya say. "Everything okay?"

I let out a sigh and collapsed back onto the bed. "No, I fucked up."

"Wanna talk to me about it?"

As much as I want to, I knew that I couldn't. "Nah, I just need for him to talk to me."

"Damn, that bad, huh?"

"Uh huh, and beyond!"

"Yikes! Uh well, maybe you could join me and go shopping."

Shopping? "Um, I don't know La, I mean-"

"Oh come on! We have that show coming up and I need a dress. Plus, if you come with me, it'll be a good distraction for you."

"I... I don't know-"

"Seriously Khushi, it'll give you time to clear your head."

I thought about it for a moment.

She does have a point, I mean if I were to join her, I wouldn't be wallowing in my misery. On the other hand....

"Well," she asked.

"Um... sure, I guess, why not?"

"Great! I'll pick you up in fifteen?"

Lavanya hung up and with a heavy sigh, I got up. I just simply washed up and put on some light makeup, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't lift up my mood at all. I couldn't stop wondering where Arnav had gone and kept hoping he would call me back. But even as I went with Lavanya to the mall and spent a good two hours with her, I still felt like crap.

I never should've said what I had said to Arnav. It's not that I don't trust him, of course I trust him - I trust him with all of my life! But Kinjal? Not a chance in hell!

"Hello? Earth to Khushi!"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Lavanya.

"You good? You all of a sudden looked like you were ready to kill a bitch."

My eyes slightly widened, but I quickly looked away and down at my coffee sitting in front of me. We had decided to take a break from all of the shopping, grabbing coffee and sitting down.

"What's wrong," Lavanya said softly as I twiddled with my coffee.

I just simply shrugged it off.

"Is it an ex?"

My motions slightly faltered, but I recovered quickly. However, Lavanya had caught it.

"It is isn't it? One of Arnav's exes is trying to stir the pot?"

I looked up at her.

"Khushi, believe me, you have nothing to worry about. I've been working as Arnav's assistant for a while now, and I've seen the way he was with his exes - he really loves you, and I've never seen him act the way he does with you with any of the other women before. He used to be as hard as stone back then and now.... He's changed, and it's all cause of you. Granted he still can be well... ASR, in a nice way to say it, but trust me Khushi, those despos can try as hard as they want - Arnav loves you and only you."

I was staring down at my coffee cup, gripping it, while she said all of what she had to, and as hard as I tried, the tears came anyways, pooling in my eyes.

"Hey..."

Lavanya reached out to me, placing her hand over my wrist.

"Don't be upset," she said softly. "Everything will be alright."

"How," I whispered back. "How can it if he won't even talk to me?"

"Don't worry babe, you know how men can be," she tried to joke.

And it kind of worked, bringing a small smile to my face.

Lavanya pulled back, leaning back in her chair. "Think of it this way - fighting means make-up sex, which is always amazing," she smirked.

I rolled my eyes with a grin.

"Now come on, break's over. We still need to find you a bomb outfit, as well as something sexy for tonight."

"Tonight? What-?"

"I told you, make-up sex is the best!"

"I know-!"

"So what are we waiting for? Come on!"

She got up, grabbing my hand to drag me along with her. I obliged, following after her, going from shop to shop. We finally decided on outfits for the show and then I was dragged into a lingerie store. While Lavanya browsed away, I couldn't get myself to look at anything. It wasn't because I was embarrassed by it, no, not at all - but it was because I ccouldn't stop thinking about how upset Arnav must be with me.

"So what do you think Khushi - the black one or the wine red one," Lavanya asked, holding up two negligees.

"La, I really appreciate the effort but-"

"Just pick a color."

"But La-"

"I'm gonna go with the black one," and she went to the register.

"La- Lavanya, seriously...."

I followed after her, going over to the register.

"Lavanya-"

"Consider it a gift from me-"

"Lavanya, no, stop-"

But the friggin' woman completely ignored me, inserting her credit card's chip into the credit card reader.

"Dude, you're completely ignoring me," I exclaimed.

"Khushi, will you chill the fuck out! You're already mopey as it is, so just stop! It's all gonna be okay, and besides, all of his exes were complete bimbos - they're not gonna do shit," she said with a roll of her eyes.

Oh Lavanya, if you only knew... if you only knew how conniving and evil Kinjal is - then you wouldn't be saying any of this stuff at all.

The cashier handed the bag to Lavanya and we left the store, Lavanya handing the bag over to me.

"Just wear it before he comes home, you'll be good. And if he comes home before dinner, well, just change quickly."

I scowled at her.

"What," she said innocently. "I'm just trying to help you."

"I really don't think lingerie is just going to get him to forgive me," I frowned.

"Well men do typically fall weak when they see their woman clad up in lingerie so..." and she shrugged.

I let out a sigh. "I appreciate the gesture though; thank you."

"Anytime babe," she grinned.

We headed towards Lavanya's car, completely done with our shopping. As we did, I glanced down at the shopping bag containing the negligee.

Lavanya, you may be optimistic but... is it really a good idea?

Immediately the thought of Kinjal came to mind, remembering how she had draped herself over the couch in just a robe. Amazing how even though that was only a few hours ago, it felt like days had passed. Regardless, the memory stuck to mind.

Kinjal may be the way she is, but if I were to wear this... wouldn't I just be acting like her?