Chapter Seventeen

It's safe to say that after all the rituals had taken place and were blessed by our family, that tears were exchanged during the send off. I can't remember a time where I had cried this hard nor held my parents as tightly as I had tonight. I couldn't help but to remember those moments in the past when they would piss me off so much and I would threaten them that I would leave them someday and that they'd regret getting mad at me and for yelling at me.

Oh what a stupid girl I was. When the time came to really leave, it was one of the most hardest things to ever do.

But I knew that I had to. I couldn't stay with Amma, Babuji, and Buaji forever. It was time for me to go with my husband. And so with a heavy heart I left them, and made my way to my future home, with my in laws.

Arnav sat beside me in the car, no one else there but the driver. The tears which streamed down my cheeks couldn't be helped. I already missed my family.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Arnav move. He brought out and held his handkerchief to me. I glanced at it and then at him and he nodded.

Tentatively taking it from his hand, I looked up at him. "Thank you," I whispered.

Arnav smiled softly and I wiped away my tears.

Okay, that's enough girl! Stop crying! Stop crying in front him! He's going to think you're a blubbering baby!

"I understand how you feel."

What? I looked up at him.

"Well, maybe not exactly. I remember when Di got married and how upset I was. I still remember the tears... it's hard to let go of the ones you love - to let go of the ones you knew as your family for so long and to just leave and go join another family. I understand," he smiled humbly.

Sigh.... I think my heart may have melted a bit and is oozing over my other organs.

Ah well.

Arnav reached out and took my hand in his, giving it a light squeeze. Brave of a move as it was, it was gentle and something I needed. So I squeezed his back and smiled softly.

The car slowed down and Arnav glanced out the window. "Welcome to your new home."

Looking out the window, I looked at what was now home. The mansion was decorated beautifully, shining in its lights. When we got out, we we were greeted by Nani and Di. Mama and Mami were here as well, who had recently come back from their trip to Goa last week.

Once we were greeted, I kicked the small pot of rice and stepped into the alta. With Arnav's help, we walked inside, leaving the mark of my entry. Once brought inside, I realized that there were more family and friends inside. Everyone was eager to meet me and the bar of my nervousness broke, the level of my nerves now higher than ever. Thank goodness Arnav was with me, or I would have suffered from anxiety.

Di came to my side and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Tired? I can take you upstairs, not to mention save you."

A smile couldn't be helped. "Thank you Di."

"Not a problem," she grinned.

Di led me upstairs, a few other family members following us. Jeejaji and Akash came with us, as well as another of Arnav's cousins, NK.

When we got to my new room, Di had me sit on the bed.

Di sighed. "A wedding can be fun yet tiring, huh?"

"So she says now," Jeejaji frowned.

"Hey," she frowned, crossing her arms.

"By the way, where's Nanav," NK asked.