Chapter Forty

Work at the office was stressful, but thank goodness I had Lavanya to help me. It was bad enough that I had enough stress from the Kinjal situation. Thinking about it now, maybe I shouldn't have been so brash and sent her that photo, but the bitch was asking for it. I did worry for a bit about her leaking and selling the photo to the media, but she was wise not to as I had her two photos on my end, having recovered the other one in case. Arnav had no knowledge of the photos she had sent, and it was better off that way. All I did was forward the pictures to myself and deleted and blocked her on Arnav's phone. The woman was bad as it was, and I was lucky she sent them when I was around - I don't need her sending shit to him when I wasn't around, heck, at any time at all!

But now that I have my head clear and am out of my grogginess, there is something that's bothering me. Years ago, when Amma had hired the private investigator to look into Kinjal, he told us she had been living in Miami for years. He even showed us photos! So does this mean he lied? I mean he had to have, how else would she have been able to have her... relationship, so to say, with Arnav?

"Earth to Khushi!"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up to see Lavanya. "Oh hey."

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah, um, just lost in thought."

Lavanya looked at me skeptically. "You sure?"

As much as I would love to tell someone else about my situation, I knew I couldn't.

"Yeah, totally," I lied, but then again, I wasn't entirely lying.

"You ready for lunch?"

Arnav was out for a meeting and Aman was with him, giving Lavanya and I the perfect opportunity to have lunch together, as we usually would end up having lunch with our mans.

"Yeah, I'm ready, let's go."

Lavanya and I headed out, both of us in the mood for pizza. So we ordered some slices for the each of us, then settled in a booth.

"To tell you the truth Khushi, you seem out of it," Lavanya said.

Oh you have no idea sister!

"What do you mean," I asked casually, biting into my slice.

"I dunno, just like the past month or so, you've been kinda out of it. Then again, you were sick, so I get that, but still... I dunno. Then again, the whole launch was stressful."

"Tell ne about it," I groaned, remembering all those late nights spent on the new collection.

"But other than that, what's going on with you?"

I looked up at Lavanya as she sprinkled some garlic and pepper flakes onto her slice. A part of me wanted to tell her, and not just for my sanity. I had been holding this whole situation in for so long, it's really beginning to take a toll on me. But something as big as this... not only would Lavanya never look at Arnav the same way again, but me as well.

And I don't want to lose such a good friend.

"Honestly La, it's nothing like that."

"Okay, if you say so.... Though I still think its something, and its bothering you, or you're just preoccupied on the thought-" Lavanya gasped. "You're not pregnant are you?"

I nearly choked on my pizza. "What-? No!" Not me at least.

"Oh thank goodness! I mean, unless you both want it. But you guys have only been married for like a few months, and in my opinion, I'd have all the fun you can before settling."