Chapter Fifty Eight

As soon as we saw the expressions on everyone's faces as we entered the family room, it became evident that the evening was yet to continue.

And it didn't look good whatsoever.

"What's going on," Arnav said as we joined them.

"I think it's better to ask Khushi that question," Di said.

My eyes darted to hers. One look at her and everyone else was enough to understand what was going on.

And it looks like Arnav understood as well.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Arnav huffed.

"Chote," Nani scolded.

"Nani, don't."

"Chote-"

"Di, not even you. First tell me this - who said what and to who."

They all glanced at each other before Nani spoke.

"Khushi's mother called Anjali betiyan."

She... what?

"She was absolutely hysterical on the phone," Di said. "No matter how hard Buaji, Nani, and I tried, she wouldn't calm down and repeatedly apologized on behalf of her daughter cheating," and her eyes turned to me.

She... how could Amma just-?

"How the fuck could she do that," Arnav growled.

Oh no, this is getting bad, I can hear it in his voice - Arnav is getting ready to explode.

I haven't heard him explode in a while; he may have gotten angry during the whole Kinjal situation, but this is different. Probably back before we were married and I was just his employee was the last time I heard explode.

And I really don't want to see him explode.

I quickly gripped his hand. "Arnav, don't-"

"Khushi don't even try to reason with me," Arnav exclaimed, trying to release himself from my hold. "All you did was meet your father and he kissed your forehead - and fucking Payal has turned such a small thing into this fucking ridiculous nonsense!!!"

I didn't say anything; how could I? He was only saying the truth.

"Wait hold on," Anjali said. "Father?"

"Di, don't you even fucking dare to question now," Arnav boomed.

All of us looked at him in shock. In all the time I had known Arnav, never once has he ever raised his voice at Di.

"Arnav," but he cut me off.

"None of you - not you guys nor her family - even wasted a second and instantly believed that Khushi was cheating on me! Not. One. Of. You," he seethed.

"Chote," but Arnav didn't care about what Di had to say.

"None of you even took a moment to think that Khushi could never do such a thing," he continued, "could ever do something like that to me, but no! I am absolutely disgusted - by ALL of you!"

I didn't even realize that tears were streaming down my cheeks, not until my vision started getting blurry. Hard as it was to accept it, it was all true - no one had hesitated to believe that I could do such a thing.

But not only was I crying, but Di was crying as well. "Chote-"

"Khushi's adopted. She told me this very early on in our marriage and I respected why she and her family chose to keep this a secret. Therefore she never told you guys anything and I didn't either. The man that you're accusing of her cheating with, who kissed her forehead, is none other than her birth father! So shame on all of you for even thinking of such a disgusting thing! ...and I'm very disappointed in you, Di."