Scroll 36: Kou Empire's Mishap

"What do you mean?" Alibaba asked.

"This country suffered the influence of the new system more than any other place in the world. The International Alliance has instituted four new laws. You know about them right?" Budel asked. Alibaba nodded.

"Among them, there are two laws that state 'Armies are prohibited' and 'Slavery is prohibited'. And the country that suffered the most from these laws was none other than Kou Empire."

"Suffered?" Alibaba wondered. Azami shifted from her seat and continued to listen to Budel's story.

"Three years ago, the Kou Empire was, you know, an incredible country! It was considered an aggressive nation! The country itself was safe and trade was also developing. But that was happening thanks to its 'military' and 'slavery' policies. In other words, it was Kou's powerful army that ensured complete public order inside its domains. And people could eat if they joined the military. The Kou Empire would ration food for people who were neither in the army nor employed. And it still had quite a lot of manpower because the government would deploy slaves to balance the system. So long as people did as the government said, they at least got something to eat. Unfortunately, that backfired." He finished. Alibaba confused until Azami finished her drink and quenched his curiosity.

"Alibaba, in a split second, millions of soldiers from the Kou Empire were left jobless because of those policies. Kou is suffering. They told all those people who up until then only knew how to fight to go and start a business. It was impossible for them right? More like absurd even but that really happened." She concluded. Alibaba had a horrified look on his face. Budel stood up and raised his voice.

"In Sinbad's New World, commerce equals power! More than violence, you have to create something! And the people who are able to sell stuff can make more money than those capable of building it. The poor people of the Kou Empire didn't even know who to sell their goods to. The only educated were those in the government. And the people could only work as the government dictated. For that reason, not a single trade company with innovative ideas was born in the Kou Empire!" He exclaimed. The wine trader continued his story as to how Kou changed and fell down drastically. He told him that commerce fell into the hands of trading companies of other countries. Then he said the other law which was 'People can migrate freely'. Because of that, people went away from Kou and that left it void of manpower.

"That is the sad state Kou is now facing, Alibaba." Azami stared at the young man and he realized just how much it affected one the strongest country three years ago. Furthermore, Budel informed him that Kou was left with no attractions, Hakuryuu's work in creating laws to survive in the New World and how the International Alliance put a stop to Kou's Liberation Movements.

"Because of that, Hakuryuu was abdicated from his throne. Unfortunately, no one has ever seen him since then." Azami mumbled. Alibaba understood the situation and ate quietly. The night ended with Alibaba learning how crucial business was in the New World. Azami strolled with him and he rented an inn for them but Azami declined his offer.

"No need, Alibaba. I have to go back to my company soon. I'll see you tomorrow, how about that?" She asked. He nodded and spent his night thinking. Azami, on the other hand, returned to her company only to be scolded by her assistant, Ana.

"Geez, you don't have to scold me too much! I scouted clients! I did! I even had Budel, the wine trader to order products from us."

"But Talia-sama, you also have some paperworks to do. You do realize that you're still in-charge with signing some paper for marketing laws, establishing new branches especially in Reim and Aktia, expenses and number of employees and their salary." The pink haired conqueror sweat dropped at her assistant's rambling before settling down on her chair. She took the load of papers next to her before reading them and signing some papers. There were some papers that were left unsigned. Ana saw this and sighed before leaving her employer.