Dinah stood up abruptly. "Yes, Dinah?" The teacher asked. "Ms. Jackson, I don't think that's a good idea," she answered with nervous laughter.

"That's one thing I'll have to agree with her on," Y/N said from her seat. "Non-sense, you two will get along great!" She replied as the bell rang and everyone except them left, "Now go along now," she insisted.

Both girls sighed as they stood up and trudged over to the door and entered the hallway. Dinah sighed as she ran a hand through her hair, "I'm guessing she paired us up because we have the same classes. So follow me and I'll lead you to A.P Lit."

"I think I can make my way around the school without a dyke's help," she scoffed as she admired the Polynesian's body secretly.

Dinah closed her eyes and rubbed her temples, "You know what, I'm already late for class because of you. I don't care how you get to class, or even if you show up, but I'm going."

With that she turned and walked down the hallway. Y/N smirked at the successful attempt to piss off the young Polynesian but quickly grew concerned when she looked around and didn't recognize that part of the school. She looked back in the direction Dinah had gone, she was still visible. Y/N ghosted the star rugby player to secretly find her way to class.

"Ladies, nice of you to join us," the teacher said still writing on the board, "You may take the last two remaining seats up front."

Both girls groaned as they sat in the adjacent seats. "To begin todays lesson you will turn and talk to your partner and read the poem you should've written over the weekend. Y/N since you're new I'm pairing you with one of our best writers. Dinah Jane," he said proudly. Both girls exchanged glances as they rolled their eyes.

"You'll have five minutes per partner, so 10 total. Ready? Go."

For the first minute and a half Y/N and Dinah sat in uncomfortable silence until the teacher came back around, "I don't hear talking. This will be today's participation points, we wouldn't want your grades to fall because you decided not to talk. I know how important grades are to you two," he said leaving the two be.

Dinah groaned, "Fine, lets just get this over with. I titled my poem Family, and it goes like this,

 They say that times were tough
That money was very tight
But I remember my childhood
And I know that can't be right

Mom would cook our dinner
Dad came home real late
But we all sat at the table
And conversed as we ate

We wouldn't eat from a microwave
Or a restaurant down the street
We all ate Mom's home cooking
And bet that can't be beat

We didn't eat in front of the TV
Or with a phone in our hand
We weren't plugged into a stereo
bopping to the latest band

We would all sit at the table
Everyone in their place
There were never any surprises
We recognized every face

Brothers to the left of me
Sisters to the right
That's the way we ate dinner
Every single night

We laughed we joked we talked we ate
We were a family don't you see
Though some may have been raised poor
You can see it wasn't me

We drank otai we ate poke
We ate rice and fish and, taro leaves
We said yes sir we said no sir
We said thank you ma'am and please

So when you talk of family life
Or how it used to be
Though many had more money
None were as rich as me"

(A/N: Author of the poem is Jeanne Rheine irl)

Y/N sat there astounded at the poem, "That was beautiful..."

Dinah narrowed her eyes in skepticism, "Really?"

"I mean I've never heard anything like it from a high school senior," she replied, "No wonder he said you're the best," she acknowledged quietly. Dinah gave a small smile, "Thank you."

Y/N smiled back but it quickly changed to a scowl, "Yeah, whatever dyke. Think nothing of it," she said as she turned back to the front of the room and crossed her arms. Dinah rolled her eyes as she turned to look out the window, fed up with Y/N's attitude.