28

Dressed in sweats and a baggy shirt, Y/N watched TV as she waited for Nela to show up.

In the middle of Cold Case she heard a honk from outside, and looked out her window. From there she saw Nela waving from his car.

"What a gentlemen," she murmured with the roll of her eyes as she tried to walk out the door.

"Where do you think you're going?"

She stopped in her tracks, "Daaaddd."

"Come on Y/N, no boy is worthy of my precious angel if he can't get his butt out the car and knock on the door," Y/N's dad said.

"But daddy," she pouted.

"Don't use the pout on me missy. You know Jesus would come to the door, shake my hand, escort you out, and then some."

"Not everyone is like Jesus dad," she pointed out.

"They've gotta strive to be at least," he replied with a throaty laugh.

"So what am I supposed do. Wait here until he eventually comes out?"

Her dad smiled, "You know what, I don't care what your mother says. You're getting smarter and smarter every day."

She scoffed, "Ugh, dad," she whined as she laughed along with her dad, "Fine."

She sat back down as her dad continued laughing. Mid-laugh he was interrupted by a knock at the door. Him and Y/N exchanged looks.

"Remember what I said in service today baby girl. You are of infinite worth. You'll be blessed with the right guy eventually," he said as he got up from his chair and walked towards the door, "But between you and me. I don't think this guy is it."

He turned the knob and in came Nela, "What's up Y/N? I've been honking for like 10 minutes."

She cleared her throat and motioned to her dad behind the door.

"Yeah definitely not it," her dad said as both teens looked at him.

"Uh, hi Mr. Y/L/N," Nela said as he stuck his hand out to shake.

"How ya doing son?" He replied as he gave Nela a bone crushing hand shake that earned a painful squeal from the football player.

"I'm good and you sir," he said through gritted teeth.

"Just fine. I don't think I've ever seen you in church. Do you go?" He asked as he made his grip tighter.

"Uh- no," he said as he pulled his hands from his hand shake, "I used to go to the LDS church, but my family left it when we decided there were too many rules," he explained as he tried to soothe his hand.

"That's great! So you'll come to church next Sunday right?" Her father asked or rather demanded.

"Oh- uh- gee sir. I don't know," Nela evaded.

"Oh come on," Y/N's father said giving him a heavy pat on the back, "You know those Mormons will come back 10x stronger if you don't."

"Mormon... Where have I heard that before," Y/N mumbled to herself.

"Probably from Dinah. The Hansen's come from a long line of Mormons. Rumor had it Milika & Gordon's family contain some of the first Pacifica converts," Nela explained, happy to get the attention off him, "Sometimes they use that as an advantage."

"You say that like they still go to church," Y/N said with a laugh.

"They do. Why wouldn't they?" Nela said as the pain in his hand subsided.

"Well because Dinah is, well you know..."

"Because Dinah came out the closet? Yeah, I thought the same thing too. I can't believe they let her step foot in the building after she did that," Nela said in disgust, "It was an act against God to let her in."

Y/N saw a small smile form on her dad's lips, "I like your morals. In today's world it's hard to find someone who sees the lgbtq community as what they are. Abominations," he said darkly, "Maybe you're not so bad after all," Mr. Y/L/N said.

"Ok then!" Y/N said loudly, growing uncomfortable with the topic at hand, "I'll be home by 10. No need to wait up, bye daddy!" She said as she dragged Nela out the house and to his car.

Once in, her dad stood on their porch and waved them off as they drove to the batting cages.